Democrats Retain Control of Senate

Started by bats, Nov 12, 2022, 06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bats

Contrary to the many, many foolish statements of prognosticators in right-wing media land, tonight the Democrats have clinched a narrow majority in the Senate:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-elections/nevada-senate-results?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

HighStepper

This might take some of the pressure off the Georgia runoff elections for Senator. Irrespective of one's political philosophy Warnock is eminently more qualified than Herschel Walker to take on the duties of a senator.

There is no longer a need for Republicans to have to hold their nose and vote for Walker in order to gain control of the Senate.
Too much sex is still not enough.

bats

Quote from: HighStepper on Nov 12, 2022, 08:22 PMThis might take some of the pressure off the Georgia runoff elections for Senator. Irrespective of one's political philosophy Warnock is eminently more qualified than Herschel Walker to take on the duties of a senator.

There is no longer a need for Republicans to have to hold their nose and vote for Walker in order to gain control of the Senate.
That's my hope. Maybe enough voters who otherwise might have made the effort to turn out for Walker will just decide to sit it out. That would be ideal both for Democrats and for what's left of the dignity of the Senate.

Romanticlover

Quote from: bats on Nov 12, 2022, 11:48 PMThat would be ideal both for Democrats and for what's left of the dignity of the Senate.

Yes because now we have a brain dead Senator from Pennsylvania that wears hoodies.
Stay classy.
Are we having fun yet?

dogwalker

The Georgia runoff is still important because one extra vote can be critical in the current 50-50 circumstance.  Senators do not always vote along party lines.  For example Joe Manchin mostly, but also a few others, held up lots of legislation with a single no vote that did not give Democrats the majority even though he proclaims to be a Democrat.

El_oso_33

Just paid $4.39/gal for gas. Who GAF about Pennsylvania ✌️🐻.
Just a dancing bear trying to get my groove on✌️🐻

bats

Quote from: Romanticlover on Nov 13, 2022, 06:14 AMYes because now we have a brain dead Senator from Pennsylvania that wears hoodies.
Stay classy.
Nothing says classy like kicking a stroke victim while he's down, amirite?

Danno

Joe Manchin is call social security an entitlement program.
Fuck him. I paid into it for 50 years.
Fucker lives on a yacht and is out of touch with reality
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

HighStepper

Quote from: dogwalker on Nov 13, 2022, 10:50 AMThe Georgia runoff is still important because one extra vote can be critical in the current 50-50 circumstance.  Senators do not always vote along party lines.  For example Joe Manchin mostly, but also a few others, held up lots of legislation with a single no vote that did not give Democrats the majority.

ALSO, The number of seats a party holds in the Senate determines its share of seats on each committee. So, in a 50/50 senate equal number of Democrats and Republicans on committees. May make it harder to get bills out of committee and on to the full Senate floor. A 51/49 Senate would make doing business easier for Democrats.

Romanticlover

Quote from: bats on Nov 13, 2022, 11:48 AMNothing says classy like kicking a stroke victim while he's down, amirite?

Not making fun of his disability but he's going to make decisions that affect ALL Americans so it matters.
Are we having fun yet?

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Nov 13, 2022, 12:51 PMNot making fun of his disability but he's going to make decisions that affect ALL Americans so it matters.

What does his disability have to do with his decision making?

Danno

Been doing his job as  Lieutenant governor just fine.
Was a mayor for 15 years.
Doctor Oz should go back to Turkey. New Jersey doesn't want him back.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

HighStepper

Quote from: Romanticlover on Nov 13, 2022, 12:51 PMNot making fun of his disability but he's going to make decisions that affect ALL Americans so it matters.

Senator Ben Ray Lujan (D-N.M.) and Senator Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) had strokes this year.
Both returned to work and have been doing their jobs. Link

...decisions that affect ALL Americans
What is your thought about Herschel Walker for Senate

bats

How ridiculous. He's going to be a senator, not a fighter pilot.

dogwalker

Brain dead seems like an exaggeration because if Fetterman was actually brain dead he would probably be in a hospital (or maybe a cemetery).   Yes people do recover from strokes depending on how severe they are.  He could continue to recover.....or have another stroke.....meanwhile he's a PA senator.  As for the hoodies he currently wears yeh it's unconventional and even unprofessional but as long as he can do the job how he dresses may not matter that much.