Trump announces run for President.

Started by dogwalker, Nov 15, 2022, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Nov 20, 2022, 03:53 PMMainly on this website.

Still looking for where people are melting down...

bats

Quote from: Romanticlover on Nov 20, 2022, 03:53 PMMainly on this website.
A search shows that nobody on this site has used either "tweet" or "Twitter" since Trump announced. Otherwise, it's just the usual discussion about a prominent political figure in the political forum.

But if it somehow makes you feel good go ahead and imagine that a "meltdown" is happening

dogwalker

Trump's reinstatement on Twitter:  but what has changed?  I'd say nothing so no one should have a meltdown.  So far Trump said he's not going to use Twitter in spite of his account being restored.......duh..... because he now owns his own social media site, Truth Social, where he gets to make the rules. 
    The one thing about that situation that disappointed me is Trump was reinstated by voting on Twitter.  So that says to me Twitter's terms of service only applies to certain people. Letting a public vote on a social media site overrule a corporate policy seems dumb. Imagine if the general public could do that for other corporate rules.   Yes there is more traffic on Twitter now but only because it's become that train wreck some have to see, not because it's better than it was before Musk owned it. So far, since Musk bought Twitter it seems like it's been a disaster, mostly for the employees.  Instead of being a place one could find real information about the very latest things happening in the world it seems like Twitter is devolving into a useless clown show.

Romanticlover

Are we having fun yet?

Blkfyre

Quote from: dogwalker on Nov 20, 2022, 05:40 PMTrump's reinstatement on Twitter:  but what has changed?  I'd say nothing so no one should have a meltdown.  So far Trump said he's not going to use Twitter in spite of his account being restored.......duh..... because he now owns his own social media site, Truth Social, where he gets to make the rules. 
    The one thing about that situation that disappointed me is Trump was reinstated by voting on Twitter.  So that says to me Twitter's terms of service only applies to certain people. Letting a public vote on a social media site overrule a corporate policy seems dumb. Imagine if the general public could do that for other corporate rules.  Yes there is more traffic on Twitter now but only because it's become that train wreck some have to see, not because it's better than it was before Musk owned it. So far, since Musk bought Twitter it seems like it's been a disaster, mostly for the employees.  Instead of being a place one could find real information about the very latest things happening in the world it seems like Twitter is devolving into a useless clown show.

Also, part of the thing with Musk buying Twitter was a concern about all the bots on the platform, one which wasn't resolved. So, to think that a real vote could be taken on a platform EVERYBODY knows has tons of Trumpbots is, well, pretty damn stupid...

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/10/tech/elon-musk-twitter-bot-analysis-cyabra

CigarMan

Quote from: Blkfyre on Nov 20, 2022, 01:52 PMTrump is a bully, racist and sexist and those that follow him can use him as an excuse for them to have the same behaviors, after all, if the president can do/say that, then why can't they?
Most of that I agree with, I am curious about the racist part?  How is it that someone who received the award from the NAACP for supporting them and then hires more people of color that his predecessor racist?

Romanticlover

It's mostly lies from Democrats, they also say Trump is an anti-Semite when his daughter and son-in-law are Jewish.
There is not one tweet, speech, whatever of him making anti-Semitic remarks.
Are we having fun yet?

bats

Trump is a longtime racist and anti-Semite. The racism goes back at least as far as the 1970s, when DOJ sued Donald and his dad for housing discrimination.

Then there were the full-page ads Donald ran in the NY newspapers urging the conviction of five black kids known as the Central Park Five. (They were all exonerated more than a decade later, but Donald has never conceded that he was wrong about the case.)

His anti-Semitism also runs deep. There are many examples. A simple Google search will show you, though I'm sure some people will refuse to see what is right in front of their faces.  

Danno

award 1986 Posts on social media claim that former U.S. President Donald Trump was awarded a medal of honor by the Ellis Island Honors Society in 1986 "for contributing to the conditions of inner city [sic] Black youths, standing alongside Muhammad Ali and Rosa Parks." This claim is partly false: though Trump, along with Ali and Parks, was a recipient of one of the inaugural Ellis Island Medals of Honor, it was given in acknowledgement of his German heritage and his contributions to New York's business and real estate world, rather than civil rights or racial justice. 

Quote from: CigarMan on Nov 21, 2022, 06:49 AMMost of that I agree with, I am curious about the racist part?  How is it that someone who received the award from the NAACP for supporting them and then hires more people of color that his predecessor racist?
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

Romanticlover

Democrats and the MSM throw accusations to see what will stick:
This past weekend several Democrats in Congress said allowing Trump back on Twitter would be dangerous, yes dangerous to free speech. As of this morning Trump still hasn't tweeted anything.
Are we having fun yet?

Blkfyre

Quote from: CigarMan on Nov 21, 2022, 06:49 AMMost of that I agree with, I am curious about the racist part?  How is it that someone who received the award from the NAACP for supporting them and then hires more people of color that his predecessor racist?

Glad you asked!

First, on his award by the NAACP:

https://apnews.com/article/archive-fact-checking-2601590439

THE FACTS: Trump was among the first group of Americans to be given the award, which recognized people from a variety of ethnic backgrounds who have made significant contributions to the country, Otto Coca, communications director for the Ellis Island Honors Society told The Associated Press Monday. But Trump was honored for his work as a successful developer in New York City and his German heritage, Coca said, not for helping inner city youth.

So no, that award had NOTHING to do with honoring him by the Black community for things that he did for them and in fact, the NAACP has come out strenuously AGAINST Trump's behavior:

https://naacp.org/articles/naacp-delivers-scathing-message-response-president-trumps-tweets-labeling-citizens-thugs

On to the next thing, why do people believe he's racist:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-racism-asian-mcconnell-youngkin-b2227283.html

""Is McConnell approving all of these Trillions of Dollars worth of Democrat sponsored Bills, without even the slightest bit of negotiation, because he hates Donald J. Trump, and he knows I am strongly opposed to them, or is he doing it because he believes in the Fake and Highly Destructive Green New Deal, and is willing to take the Country down with him?" Mr Trump wrote on Truth Social. "In any event, either reason is unacceptable. He has a DEATH WISH. Must immediately seek help and advise from his China loving wife, Coco Chow!

The lack of understanding of political history necessary to accuse a Taiwanese immigrant of being "China-loving" aside, Mr Trump's deliberate misspelling of Ms Chao's family name is not the first time he's hurled racist abuse at his former secretary of Transportation, only the latest.

l performance by his hand-selected candidates in last week's midterms, Mr Trump once again took to his social media platform to bash rivals in the GOP who had blamed him and the Maga movement for their party's failings. One of those rivals targeted by the former president was Glenn Youngkin, the new governor of Virginia who became a rising star in the party after defeating Terry McAuliffe in a highly-watched race last year. Quipping that Mr Youngkin's name "sounds Chinese, doesn't it?", the ex-president insisted that the Virginia governor "couldn't have won without me".

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/14/trump-congress-go-back-where-they-came-from-1415692

"President Donald Trump, jumping into the middle of a feud among House Democrats, called out progressive congresswomen in xenophobic terms on Sunday, saying, "Why don't they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came."

While he didn't mention them by name in his series of tweets, Trump was presumably targeting some of the caucus's best-known freshman women of color: Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) and Ayanna Pressley (D-Mass.).

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/30/918483794/from-debate-stage-trump-declines-to-denounce-white-supremacy

WALLACE: You have repeatedly criticized the vice president for not specifically calling out antifa and other left-wing extremist groups. But are you willing, tonight, to condemn white supremacists and militia groups and to say that they need to stand down and not add to the violence in a number of these cities as we saw in Kenosha and as we've seen in Portland? Are you prepared to specifically do that?

TRUMP: Sure, I'm prepared to do that. But I would say almost everything I see is from the left wing, not from the right wing. If you look, I'm willing to do anything. I want to see peace.

WALLACE: Then do it, sir.

BIDEN: Do it. Say it.

TRUMP: You want to call them? What do you want to call them? Give me a name, give me a name, go ahead — who would you like me to condemn?

WALLACE: White supremacists, white supremacists and right-wing militia.

TRUMP: Proud Boys, stand back and stand by.

As already stated, Trump has a history of being racist against Blacks and housing: https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-trump-racism/fact-check-trump-had-been-accused-of-racism-by-contemporaries-prior-to-presidential-campaign-idUSL1N2MT312

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_views_of_Donald_Trump

Trump launched his 2016 presidential campaign with a speech in which he spoke with an extremist view of Mexican immigrants: "They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people." He said that Justice Gonzalo P. Curiel, who was born in Indiana, should be disqualified from deciding cases against him because "this judge is of Mexican heritage". He retweeted false statistics claiming that African Americans are responsible for the majority of murders of white Americans, and in some speeches he has repeatedly linked African Americans and Hispanics with violent crime.] During the campaign, Trump used the fears of the white working class voters, and created the impression of global danger of groups that are deemed to pose a challenge to the nation

The U.S. Department of Justice concluded that Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio oversaw the worst pattern of racial profiling in U.S. history.[121] The illegal tactics that he was using included "extreme racial profiling and sadistic punishments that involved the torture, humiliation, and degradation of Latino inmates". The DoJ filed suit against him for unlawful discriminatory police conduct. He ignored their orders and was subsequently convicted of contempt of court for continuing to racially profile Hispanics. Calling him "a great American patriot", President Trump pardoned him soon afterwards, even before sentencing took place. House speaker Paul Ryan, and both Arizona senators, John McCain and Jeff Flake, were critical of Trump's decision. Constitutional scholars also opposed the decision to grant the pardon, which according to Harvard Law School professor Noah Feldman was "an assault on the federal judiciary, the constitution and the rule of law itself". The American Civil Liberties Union, which was involved in the case resulting in Arpaio's conviction, tweeted: "By pardoning Joe Arpaio, Donald Trump has sent another disturbing signal to an emboldened white nationalist movement that this White House supports racism and bigotry." According to ACLU deputy legal director Cecilia Wang, the pardon was "a presidential endorsement of racism"

In her 2012 campaign for the Senate, Elizabeth Warren's opponent raised accusations concerning Warren's having listed partial Native American ancestry on her profile in a professional directory. Warren denies that she ever claimed to be a minority for the purpose of securing employment, and a review of her employment history and interviews of her past employers has been unable to find anything that supports the charge. Picking up on the controversy, Trump has frequently referred to her as "Pocahontas", including at a White House event where he addressed Native American veterans who served in the US military during World War II. Warren responded: "It was deeply unfortunate that the President of the United States cannot even make it through a ceremony honoring these heroes without throwing out a racial slur."

On June 28, 2020, Trump retweeted video footage of Trump supporters and anti-Trump protesters arguing with one another during which a supporter is recorded yelling, among other things, 'White Power'. He praised supporters in the retweet, calling them "great people" in his caption of a video uploaded and tweeted by another account. Trump wrote "Thank you to the great people of The Villages. The Radical Left Do Nothing Democrats will Fall in the Fall. Corrupt Joe is shot. See you soon!!!".The tweet included an embedded video showing several pro-Trump senior citizens in Florida having an exchange with anti-Trump protestors and supporters of Black Lives Matter as well as Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden.

n his book published in September 2020, journalist Bob Woodward describes a recorded interview with Trump in which Woodward talks about white privilege. Woodward asked Trump if he was working to "understand the anger and the pain, particularly, Black people feel in this country." Trump replied "No. You really drank the Kool-Aid, didn't you? Just listen to you. Wow. No, I don't feel that at all."

And of course, one of the first when he announced that he was launching his presidential bid. "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best," he said. "...They're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

His supporters continuously claim that liberals just want to paint him in a bad light, but his words do that for him.

CigarMan

Quote from: Danno on Nov 21, 2022, 10:36 AMaward 1986 Posts on social media claim that former U.S. President Donald Trump was awarded a medal of honor by the Ellis Island Honors Society in 1986 "for contributing to the conditions of inner city [sic] Black youths, standing alongside Muhammad Ali and Rosa Parks." This claim is partly false: though Trump, along with Ali and Parks, was a recipient of one of the inaugural Ellis Island Medals of Honor, it was given in acknowledgement of his German heritage and his contributions to New York's business and real estate world, rather than civil rights or racial justice. 

Is that the one that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton were present at?

HighStepper

Quote from: CigarMan on Nov 21, 2022, 12:42 PMIs that the one that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton were present at?

It is possible that they were. Perhaps your point is relative to when Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson praised/thank Trump for his donations. Like many political savvy businessmen Trump made donations to community organizations. He was big donor to the Clintons. Trump changed back and forth from being a Democrat/Republican/Independent depending on what was politically expedient for him at any given time. 

The initial reference to Trump being a recipient of the Ellis Island Honors was to claim he is not racist. I don't get into debates about is Trump a racist in his heart and mind. I observe that not all Trump supporters are racist, but all racist are Trump supporters. Wonder why that is?
Too much sex is still not enough.

CigarMan

I disagree that all racists are Trump Supporters, there are many racists on the Left who think that because you are a person of color you are incapable of getting an id, making a living etc.  I call it the bigotry of low expectations and I detest it wherever it comes from.

That being said, I agree that many of the asshole racists do support Trump which is something else I do not understand.

Finally I sincerely hope Trump goes away, his brand of politics is way too divisive as is Pelosi's and Shumer's and McConnell.

Blkfyre

Quote from: CigarMan on Nov 22, 2022, 06:06 AMI disagree that all racists are Trump Supporters, there are many racists on the Left who think that because you are a person of color you are incapable of getting an id, making a living etc.  I call it the bigotry of low expectations and I detest it wherever it comes from.

That being said, I agree that many of the asshole racists do support Trump which is something else I do not understand.

Finally I sincerely hope Trump goes away, his brand of politics is way too divisive as is Pelosi's and Shumer's and McConnell.

If you support a racist and vote for them to be out in a position of power over others, isn't that just as bad as being one?