Florida Explains Why It Blocked Black History Class

Started by Blkfyre, Jan 24, 2023, 02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blkfyre

https://www.thedailybeast.com/florida-department-of-education-gives-bizarre-reasoning-for-banning-ap-african-american-history

The Florida Department of Education says it banned AP African American History because it teaches students about activism, intersectionality and encourages "ending the war on Black trans, queer, gender non-conforming, and intersex people," according to a document the department sent to The Daily Beast.

I am waiting to see what the conservative people have to say about this.

bats

Quote from: Blkfyre on Jan 24, 2023, 02:16 PMI am waiting to see what the conservative people have to say about this.

They won't say anything because they're perfectly okay with treating "other" humans as lesser beings.

dogwalker

I don't go to school in FL, I don't live in FL, and I don't have kid that goes to school in FL. Therefore I do not care.   If people want to "nuke themselves" I say let them as long as it does not involve me.

Blkfyre

https://www.aclu.org/news/free-speech/lessons-learned-from-our-classroom-censorship-win-against-floridas-stop-w-o-k-e-act

Earlier this month, a federal judge blocked Florida from enforcing the Stop Wrongs Against Our Kids and Employees Act (Stop W.O.K.E. Act) in the state's colleges and universities. Florida is just one of over a dozen states across the country that have passed laws censoring discussions around race and gender in the classroom, and this is the first time a court has ruled that this type of classroom censorship law is unconstitutional.

Bande

Should just be History class period! When one has to put a race or color to it they are the racist, PERIOD!
Like Like x 1 View List

HighStepper

Quote from: Bande on Mar 02, 2023, 08:41 PMShould just be History class period! When one has to put a race or color to it they are the racist, PERIOD!

Teaching historical facts reveals that Southern white plantation owners bought black slaves. Race and color are a part of the history.
Too much sex is still not enough.

bats

Quote from: Bande on Mar 02, 2023, 08:41 PMShould just be History class period! When one has to put a race or color to it they are the racist, PERIOD!
So they should just identify everyone by name, rank, and serial number, regardless of race, color, or creed? LOL

How would they be able to account for the Three-Fifths Compromise, the 13th Amendment, or about ten thousand other issues in which race was central to the history of our country?