Abortion and Republican Politics

Started by Danno, Mar 25, 2023, 11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danno

most repubs main issue was abortion. that was taken care of with the supreme court appointments. Maybe there isn't a reason to vote for him.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

HighStepper

Quote from: Danno on Mar 25, 2023, 11:39 AMmost repubs main issue was abortion. that was taken care of with the supreme court appointments. Maybe there isn't a reason to vote for him.
"him" = Trump.
The above post was split from Conservative News Paper Turns on Trump

A closer look at Republicans who favor legal abortion and Democrats who oppose it. Republicans who favor legal abortion are far less religious than abortion opponents in the GOP, while Democrats who say abortion should be illegal in all or most cases are much more religious than Democrats who say it should be legal.
The article has a number of charts and graphs that show abortion positions by various factors.
Link

In the 1970s, politicians' views on abortion didn't break down along neat party lines. While Republican President Gerald Ford opposed Roe v. Wade, first lady Betty Ford was an abortion-rights supporter and Ford's vice president Nelson Rockefeller presided over the repeal of abortion restrictions in New York, as Linda Greenhouse and Reva B. Siegel explained in their book Before Roe v. Wade. In Congress, Republicans voted against abortion at about the same rate as Democrats. Link

The real origins of the religious right was not initially about abortion.  The Internal Revenue Service in 1970 enacted a new policy denying tax exemptions to all segregated schools in the United States under the provisions of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act. Policy upheld in court 1971. Evangelical leaders, were smart enough to recognize that organizing grassroots evangelicals to defend racial discrimination would be problematic. They needed a different issue if they wanted to mobilize evangelical voters on a large scale.....thus abortion.

For more background information see: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/05/religious-right-real-origins-107133/

This post is a background information thread. If you wish to express your personal opinion about abortion please feel free to start your own thread.
Too much sex is still not enough.