Dems call on Dianne Feinstein to resign

Started by Romanticlover, Apr 13, 2023, 08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romanticlover

Sen. Feinstein hasn't been in the Senate most of this year holding up Biden's judicial appointments since Sen. Feinstein sits on the judiciary committee. Sen. Feinstein has said she will not seek re-election next year.

Two Democrat Senators have called on her to resign.

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/13/1169664922/dianne-feinstein-resign-judiciary-committee
Are we having fun yet?

bats

Quote from: Romanticlover on Apr 13, 2023, 08:18 PMSen. Feinstein hasn't been in the Senate most of this year holding up Biden's judicial appointments since Sen. Feinstein sits on the judiciary committee. Sen. Feinstein has said she will not seek re-election next year.
https://www.npr.org/2023/04/13/1169664922/dianne-feinstein-resign-judiciary-committee
Ro Khanna, a Democratic congressman from California, was quoted in the linked article:

"I don't think that someone no matter how remarkable their achievements can be absent in their role, especially in this moment, where we need an active senator to get the president's judges confirmed, when we need a senator from California pushing back against that the transphobia, the gay phobia that we have been hearing, and that's why I hope that we will have someone in that role," Khanna said.

Feinstein isn't there to, among other things, push back against the Republicans and their disgusting hostility toward the LGBTQ community. So, yep, she needs to resign.

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Apr 13, 2023, 08:18 PMSen. Feinstein hasn't been in the Senate most of this year holding up Biden's judicial appointments since Sen. Feinstein sits on the judiciary committee. Sen. Feinstein has said she will not seek re-election next year.

What I like is that conservatives are jumping up and down at a Democrat asking another to step down because they aren't doing their job because they just CAN NOT GET someone in your own party trying to be responsible and have a colleague actually do their job. It boggles their mind that someone is putting the welfare of the country above party loyalty, almost as if that is unthinkable in the conservative parties.

Romanticlover

Dianne Feinstein is the longest serving Senator in CA history.
There needs to be term limits and a max age of 80 to serve in Congress.
I feel sorry for her but we can't have elderly people running our country.
Are we having fun yet?

Danno

you mean like Moscow Mitch. been in a nursing home for months
Quote from: Romanticlover on Apr 14, 2023, 10:36 AMDianne Feinstein is the longest serving Senator in CA history.
There needs to be term limits and a max age of 80 to serve in Congress.
I feel sorry for her but we can't have elderly people running our country.

Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

bats

Quote from: Romanticlover on Apr 14, 2023, 10:36 AMThere needs to be term limits and a max age of 80 to serve in Congress.
This is the kind of simplistic, thought-free solution that fills the modern conservative's authoritarian playbook.

We should look to one's ability to perform their duties rather than some arbitrary cutoff date determined by their birth certificate.

dogwalker

I agree on no age limit.  Some are incompetent and dumb as hell in their 20s and some function very well beyond their 80s.

As far as term limits, in theory there are benefits (bring in fresh ideas) but it seems to me it has not worked that well.  I doubt it gets rid of much corruption as claimed.  All too often it seems like we end up with newbies that don't know what they are doing and there is a loss of institutional memory (how to run a government----also applies to businesses that have too much employee turnover).  Chile is experiencing that now.  Very young President (37) and staff. As a result there have been several junior-level blunders and the country is on the verge of having big problems.

Romanticlover

Age limits isn't a conservative vs leftist ideology, it's common sense.
Sen Fetterman(D-PA) had a stroke and has a bunch of health issues and he's only 53.
The police, fire dept and military require enlisted(below the rank of lieutenant) to retire at 50.
Are we having fun yet?

Danno

better check those facts

Quote from: Romanticlover on Apr 14, 2023, 02:29 PMAge limits isn't a conservative vs leftist ideology, it's common sense.
Sen Fetterman(D-PA) had a stroke and has a bunch of health issues and he's only 53.
The police, fire dept and military require enlisted(below the rank of lieutenant) to retire at 50.

DoctorTaco

Quote from: bats on Apr 14, 2023, 12:11 PMThis is the kind of simplistic, thought-free solution that fills the modern conservative's authoritarian playbook.

We should look to one's ability to perform their duties rather than some arbitrary cutoff date determined by their birth certificate.

Then explain to me why a person must be 35 to be POTUS?  While I understand your point, having a Senator like Diane or Mitch in office for 20+ years only protects their getting re-elected.

I am in favor of age and term limits.

Joe better not run in 2024. I think Jill will talk him out of it so he doesn't make a fool of himself.

I do find it funny how the Dems are turning on Diane. Only because she is so out of it she cant get her revenge. Pelosi should be next, she cant form a complete sentence due to her senior moments.

Blkfyre

Quote from: DoctorTaco on Apr 15, 2023, 08:47 AMThen explain to me why a person must be 35 to be POTUS?  While I understand your point, having a Senator like Diane or Mitch in office for 20+ years only protects their getting re-elected.

I am in favor of age and term limits.

Joe better not run in 2024. I think Jill will talk him out of it so he doesn't make a fool of himself.

I do find it funny how the Dems are turning on Diane. Only because she is so out of it she cant get her revenge. Pelosi should be next, she cant form a complete sentence due to her senior moments.

Because the founding fathers thought you had to be at least that age for you to have the wisdom to hold the office.

Mind you, those are the same people who created the electoral system because they thought the common man was too STUPID and ill informed to be trusted to vote intelligently. Which may or may not have been true at the time but certainly is not now.

Personally I think term limits are a better solution than an age restriction. Get new blood and ideals and get institutionalized bought politicians out of office is a better solution.

Romanticlover

Quote from: Danno on Apr 14, 2023, 03:26 PMbetter check those facts

They can force you to take an early retirement at 50 and 20 years of service, some branches are 57. 

https://www.fedweek.com/ask/federal-retirement/retirement-eligibility/

I know it's a fact because I served in the military, I also have friends and family that worked in the public sector.
Are we having fun yet?

Romanticlover

Are we having fun yet?

Danno

that's for civil service, pers safety is 3% at 50

Quote from: Romanticlover on Apr 15, 2023, 11:43 AMThey can force you to take an early retirement at 50 and 20 years of service, some branches are 57. 

https://www.fedweek.com/ask/federal-retirement/retirement-eligibility/

I know it's a fact because I served in the military, I also have friends and family that worked in the public sector.

HighStepper

Quote from: dogwalker on Apr 14, 2023, 02:08 PMI agree on no age limit.  Some are incompetent and dumb as hell in their 20s and some function very well beyond their 80s.
As one who is over 80 I concur.

Quote from: Blkfyre on Apr 15, 2023, 10:31 AMPersonally I think term limits are a better solution than an age restriction. Get new blood and ideals and
get institutionalized bought politicians out of office is a better solution.
In the time of the Founding Fathers, the land owners and business men volunteered to take time from their busies pursuits to give service to the country. Being a member of Congress was not meant to be a lifelong endeavor. 

I would say 2 terms in the Senate. 12 years.
I would say 6 terms in the House 12 years.
Under these term limits you would probably get termed out House members running for Senate and vice versa.

Too much sex is still not enough.