Good Ole California.

Started by Bande, Apr 17, 2023, 04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Apr 18, 2023, 10:34 AMIn my opinion, basing someone's utility bill on their income is stupid and unfair.

Why?

HighStepper

Having access to utilities is necessity of life in the modern world. That being said, rates by the utility companies should be based on usage not income. There can be governmental social programs to assist qualifying utility users.

We don't have a different price for food at the grocery store checkout line based on income. People in need can get government subsides like food stamps.

Too much sex is still not enough.

Romanticlover

Quote from: HighStepper on Apr 18, 2023, 02:48 PMHaving access to utilities is necessity of life in the modern world. That being said, rates by the utility companies should be based on usage not income. There can be governmental social programs to assist qualifying utility users.

We don't have a different price for food at the grocery store checkout line based on income. People in need can get government subsides like food stamps.

I agree with you, the utilities already have assistance programs for low income people.

This is a purely a money grab, like the .05 a bag at the grocery stores to keep plastic bags off the streets.
..or the penalty Democrats want to impose on the oil companies which will be passed on to the consumer.

Every time the government messes with private companies we consumers get screwed.
Are we having fun yet?

bats

Quote from: HighStepper on Apr 18, 2023, 02:48 PMHaving access to utilities is necessity of life in the modern world. That being said, rates by the utility companies should be based on usage not income. There can be governmental social programs to assist qualifying utility users.

What's the difference, in principle, between the existing government subsidies and the relief that would apparently go to low-income ratepayers under this proposed program? I don't know enough about the background of the law that led to this, but it's not obvious to me that rates should always be based on usage rather than income.

dogwalker

@Blkfyre  
Because a poor person could use a lot and a rich person could use little.
Should the cost of food, etc. be based on income?  That's just stupid.
The cost of most things in life are based on how much you buy.....duh.
It's a bit sad poor people can't afford as much, but guess what.....that's how the world works....boo hoo.

eldritch

The CPUC put out they were going to take public comments. Announcement went out on a Thursday afternoon for a Saturday 8 am in person meeting.  ??? Then they say things, well no one showed up to complain, oh well.

I'm not giving anyone my income. Maybe I'll put one of the kids on the bill, they are low income for sure. $0 lol

Romanticlover

My question is how are they going to verify income?
Will it be a questionnaire or will we have to send them a copy of our tax return?

In related news: Biden wants those with good credit to subsidize those with bad credit on home loans

https://www.newsweek.com/biden-raises-costs-homebuyers-good-credit-help-risky-borrowers-1795700

Every expert is saying it's a stupid idea because it rewards bad behavior.
Are we having fun yet?