Oath Keepers leader Stewart Rhodes sentenced to 18 years in prison

Started by Blkfyre, May 25, 2023, 10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blkfyre

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/25/politics/oath-keepers-sentencing-stewart-rhodes-kelly-meggs/index.html

Stewart Rhodes, the founder and leader of the Oath Keepers, was sentenced to 18 years in prison on Thursday for leading a far-reaching plot to keep then-President Donald Trump in power after he lost the 2020 election.

The sentence is the first handed down in over a decade for seditious conspiracy.

"What we absolutely cannot have is a group of citizens who – because they did not like the outcome of an election, who did not believe the law was followed as it should be – foment revolution," District Judge Amit Mehta said before handing down the sentence. "That is what you did."

"I dare say, Mr. Rhodes – and I never have said this to anyone I have sentenced – you pose an ongoing threat and peril to our democracy and the fabric of this country," Mehta said.

The judge added: "I dare say we all now hold our collective breaths when an election is approaching. Will we have another January 6 again? That remains to be seen."

Mehta said Rhodes, 58, has expressed no remorse and continues to be a threat.

"A seditious conspiracy, when you take those two concepts and put it together, is among the most serious crimes an American can commit," the judge said. "It is an offense against the government to use force. It is an offense against the people of our country."

Mehta on Thursday previously ruled that Rhodes' actions amounted to domestic terrorism.

The worst part, is I am sure that we will be seeing people defending him saying he was unjustly convicted...

HighStepper

Stewart Rhodes' own lawyers, while saying they didn't agree with the sentence, were expecting a longer sentence.

Rhodes expressed his defiance to the court, indicating he would take up arms against the United States when released from prison.

While pushing his anti American, terrorist, rhetoric money was donated to the Oath Keepers. Rhodes used the organization's money to fund his holiday travel and personal expenses. Link
Too much sex is still not enough.

bats

Quote from: Blkfyre on May 25, 2023, 10:32 AMMehta on Thursday previously ruled that Rhodes' actions amounted to domestic terrorism.
I recently learned that one of our shortcomings in combating the threat of violent white supremacist groups is that we don't even have a specific federal criminal statute to charge acts of domestic terrorism. Yet, if Muslim extremists committed the same actions, DOJ would have many tools for prosecution, and they would have the full support of We The People.

In other words, this shit is baked into our system in the current environment because some white people who support the white extremists have been elected to Congress or otherwise occupy influential positions. It's a disease we must eradicate before our democracy succumbs to it.

bladegunner

bladegunner

Bande

Trump 2024
You know what's going to happen, Right..
Trump will correct..
Leftist are going to continue crying..
Plenty of evidence showing Our Justice system at work causing the issues.
Cry Baby Cry..

HighStepper

Blkfyre

Oh look, another "tourist" gets hard jail time:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/26/politics/oath-keepers-jessica-watkins-sentencing/index.html

Jessica Watkins, an Army veteran and member of the far-right Oath Keepers, was sentenced Friday to 8.5 years in prison for participating in a plot to disrupt the certification of the 2020 presidential election culminating in the January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol.

Judge Amit Mehta said Watkins' efforts at the Capitol were "aggressive" and said she did not have immediate remorse, even though she has since apologized.

"Your role that day was more aggressive, more assaultive, more purposeful than perhaps others'. And you led others to fulfill your purposes," Mehta said. "And there was not in the immediate aftermath any sense of shame or contrition, just the opposite. Your comments were celebratory and lacked a real sense of the gravity of that day and your role in it."

At trial, prosecutors showed evidence that Watkins founded and led a small militia in Ohio and mobilized her group in coordination with the Oath Keepers to Washington, DC, on January 6. Watkins and her counterparts ultimately marched in tactical gear to the Capitol and encouraged other rioters to push past police outside the Senate chamber.

"I was just another idiot running around the hallway," Watkins told the court before the sentence was handed down Friday. "But idiots are responsible, and today you are going to hold this idiot responsible."

Two of Watkins' codefendants, Stewart Rhodes and Kelly Meggs, were sentenced Thursday to 18 and 12 years in prison, respectively, for seditious conspiracy.

Bande

HighStepper

• Pelosi FILMED Herself on J6
  • Hunter Images Dumped
  • Trump Recusal Filing
  • FBI Caves to Comer
  • Epstein
  • Debt deal
  • Muliple ads on health supplements.

Not sure what this has to do with the topic about Oath Keepers leader Stewart Rhodes sentenced to 18 years in prison. I listened to the video for the first 15 minutes out of an hour and a half, then gave up.  Perhaps someone else can connect the dots if there are any.

Blkfyre