Will Trump EVER be Held Accountable?

Started by bats, Mar 30, 2022, 11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bats

We all saw it happen. Trump encouraged his supporters to head down to the Capitol to physically stop the certification of the 2020 election. It damn near worked. If some of the rioters had gotten their way, some Democrats might have been killed. Mike Pence might have been killed. It was ugly, and it could have been even uglier.

The January 6th Commission, or whatever it's called, is busy investigating the details, but a lot of it was on the freaking TV for all to see. Still, almost all of the Republicans in Washington have refused to go against the guy who has so much sway over their voters. And a lot of those voters genuinely believe the lies that Donald Trump has been telling them since way before the election.

DOJ is reportedly investigating potential criminal activity. This could be far more important than the work of the 1/6 commission since those guys will be disbanded if the Republicans regain control of the House this November.

Why do people not see what was right in front of their faces? I'm still mystified.

Hobby

IMO Trump is greatly responsible for Jan 6. His supporters did not show up to that rally on Jan 6 just to cheer for Trump! Trump wanted the election confirmation by Congress to stop. After all attempts of overturning the election to hand over the presidency back to Trump had failed. In a desperate attempt Trump stated and insisted that VP Pence could refuse the certification of certain states. There is no clause in the Constitution that gives a VP the ability to reject state's certification of their electoral votes. The VP who resides during the joint session of Congress to certify the election as called out in the Constitution is not a member of Congress and does not sit in any form of judgment. Same as with in the Senate when the Supreme Court Justice resides over the Impeachment Hearings.

Many believe the seeds that Trump planted in their minds long before Nov 2020 election.  Trump said at many rallies if he lost it would be because the election was rigged. There were many election irregularities that raised eyebrows yet still as of today there is no proof the election was rigged, just allegations, suspicions, theories. I accept the results of the election. I hope congress passes laws to insure in future presidential elections that states insure the voters are legal to vote.  I support voter ID.

bats

Quote from: Hobby on Mar 31, 2022, 01:40 PMI hope congress passes laws to insure in future presidential elections that states insure the voters are legal to vote.  I support voter ID.
It seems so reasonable, doesn't it? What could be wrong with requiring an ID to vote?

First off, studies have shown that voter fraud is vanishingly rare. So we have to ask ourselves, "What is the problem we're trying to solve?"

Secondly, voter ID laws are not as innocuous as they might seem. It places an unnecessary and sometimes burdensome condition on a person's basic right to vote. Unnecessary because (as noted above) voter fraud is not a statistically significant issue. Burdensome because some people (often, people of color) have more difficulty getting and keeping valid ID.

For most of us, having an ID on our persons is something we've been doing all of our lives since we were 16 or so. But each time we renew our driver's license we pay money for it. And sometimes we have to get to the DMV in person to take care of it. That's easy for most of us--we have transportation and money.

Not everyone has either of those things, and not having them shouldn't mean they can't participate in one of the most fundamental parts of society.

thaikhan

Yet Russian collusion on how Trump won his presidency.

thaikhan

Quote from: bats on Mar 31, 2022, 02:11 PMIt seems so reasonable, doesn't it? What could be wrong with requiring an ID to vote?

First off, studies have shown that voter fraud is vanishingly rare. So we have to ask ourselves, "What is the problem we're trying to solve?"

Secondly, voter ID laws are not as innocuous as they might seem. It places an unnecessary and sometimes burdensome condition on a person's basic right to vote. Unnecessary because (as noted above) voter fraud is not a statistically significant issue. Burdensome because some people (often, people of color) have more difficulty getting and keeping valid ID.

For most of us, having an ID on our persons is something we've been doing all of our lives since we were 16 or so. But each time we renew our driver's license we pay money for it. And sometimes we have to get to the DMV in person to take care of it. That's easy for most of us--we have transportation and money.

Not everyone has either of those things, and not having them shouldn't mean they can't participate in one of the most fundamental parts of society.

I like the discriminatory post that people can't get their IDs. People who don't have their IDs don't give a rat's ass about voting.

I love how the middle class and the rich like to speak for the poor on what they can and can't do. I especially love it when they speak on how they see and work with the poor and then going back to suburbia at night while patting themselves on the back at how awesome they are for helping those beneath them.

Danno

Was at eye dr the other day. an 80 yr old lady didn't have an ID, refused service.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

thaikhan

Quote from: Danno on Mar 31, 2022, 02:49 PMWas at eye dr the other day. an 80 yr old lady didn't have an ID, refused service.

Boo fucking hoo.  She has no ID because? You asked her why she didn't? Or are you just assuming that because she didn't have ID on her she couldn't afford to have one?

Hobby

Quote from: bats on Mar 31, 2022, 02:11 PMIt seems so reasonable, doesn't it? What could be wrong with requiring an ID to vote?

You are smart guy! I can't believe you would post crap like this and defend it.  When people are eligible to receive SSI they have to appear in person.  Makes no difference poor or rich, everyone shows up to sign up for their money! When low income poor people need welfare they find a way to go to the Welfare Department to get welfare! Again money.  Comes to having voter ID oh no we have a constitutional right to vote we don't need an ID.  WTF! yes you do.  People have to register to vote and sign their registration card. Having a voter ID ensures that the same person is the person on that registration card. If registration to vote had to be done in person then maybe then voter ID would not be necessary, this not the case people can register to vote online. There is really no way of knowing just how many fraudulent votes were cast if they made it through the counting machines. If the government were to pay $50 to every voter who in person registered to vote and got a voter ID card the lines would be miles long!

Romanticlover

Quote from: Danno on Mar 31, 2022, 02:49 PMWas at eye dr the other day. an 80 yr old lady didn't have an ID, refused service.

Why would a doctor require an ID?
I've never been asked for my ID, only my insurance card.

Requiring an ID to vote should be mandatory. While we on on this topic: why is the ballot in so many languages?
Are we having fun yet?

Bande

Quote from: bats on Mar 30, 2022, 11:40 PMWe all saw it happen. Trump encouraged his supporters to head down to the Capitol to physically stop the certification of the 2020 election. It damn near worked. If some of the rioters had gotten their way, some Democrats might have been killed. Mike Pence might have been killed. It was ugly, and it could have been even uglier.

The January 6th Commission, or whatever it's called, is busy investigating the details, but a lot of it was on the freaking TV for all to see. Still, almost all of the Republicans in Washington have refused to go against the guy who has so much sway over their voters. And a lot of those voters genuinely believe the lies that Donald Trump has been telling them since way before the election.

DOJ is reportedly investigating potential criminal activity. This could be far more important than the work of the 1/6 commission since those guys will be disbanded if the Republicans regain control of the House this November.

Why do people not see what was right in front of their faces? I'm still mystified.

Quick Answer is NO.
Politics my friend. If people were held accountable it would of been done with Obama, Hillary, And Biden to mention some. Therefore answer is NO.

Bande

Quote from: Romanticlover on Mar 31, 2022, 04:00 PMWhy would a doctor require an ID?

Requiring an ID to vote should be mandatory. While we on on this topic: why is the ballot in so many languages?
Im always asked on medical visits. I would guess to save from fraud.
Im for checking ID for voting.

Danno

Quote from: thaikhan on Mar 31, 2022, 02:54 PMBoo fucking hoo.  She has no ID because? You asked her why she didn't? Or are you just assuming that because she didn't have ID on her she couldn't afford to have one?
she said she doesn't drive or shop, no reason to have one. Last Jan. found out my mom's license was expired 3 yrs ago. She doesn't drive. Getting her a new one was a 2 day ordeal. Driving over 500 miles she has an ID. which she doesn't need for anything.

Danno

Quote from: Hobby on Mar 31, 2022, 03:42 PMYou are smart guy! I can't believe you would post crap like this and defend it.  When people are eligible to receive SSI they have to appear in person.  Makes no difference poor or rich, everyone shows up to sign up for their money! When low income poor people need welfare they find a way to go to the Welfare Department to get welfare! Again money.  Comes to having voter ID oh no we have a constitutional right to vote we don't need an ID.  WTF! yes you do.  People have to register to vote and sign their registration card. Having a voter ID ensures that the same person is the person on that registration card. If registration to vote had to be done in person then maybe then voter ID would not be necessary, this not the case people can register to vote online. There is really no way of knowing just how many fraudulent votes were cast if they made it through the counting machines. If the government were to pay $50 to every voter who in person registered to vote and got a voter ID card the lines would be miles long!

you don't have to show up in person to draw SSI, do some home work

Danno

Just register to vote twice, then you will see how the system works when you vote twice and get arrested. Try it if you think the system doesn't work. Dead people don't receive ballots either. Had 5 family members die in he last 2 years. All voted by mail. None got a ballot after they died.

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Mar 31, 2022, 04:00 PMWhy would a doctor require an ID?

Because the United States doesn't have an official language, and currently only ONE state implemented laws eliminating bilingual education programs : https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/20/us/english-us-official-language-trnd/index.html