Auto industry tells Biden to FO

Started by Romanticlover, Jun 28, 2023, 06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romanticlover

Car manufacturers are calling on the EPA and the Biden administration to rescind the mandate to do away with internal combustion vehicles.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/28/climate/epa-electric-cars-auto-industry-criticism.html
Are we having fun yet?

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Jun 28, 2023, 06:09 PMCar manufacturers are calling on the EPA and the Biden administration to rescind the mandate to do away with internal combustion vehicles.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/28/climate/epa-electric-cars-auto-industry-criticism.html

Oh look, big-time capitalists are complaining a regulation will hurt their business. Gosh, that has NEVER happened before...

Romanticlover

These capitalists make most(97%) of the vehicles in the US, they also employ 100's of thousands of taxpayers.
Most Americans don't want or can't afford a new EV.
Are we having fun yet?

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Jun 28, 2023, 06:16 PMThese capitalists make most(97%) of the vehicles in the US, they also employ 100's of thousands of taxpayers.
Most Americans don't want or can't afford a new EV.

So, you are saying because they are BIG BUSINESS they should not have regulations applied to them? It's not like they haven't fought against other regulations on their businesses before:

https://blog.ucsusa.org/dave-cooke/automakers-long-list-of-fights-against-progress-and-why-we-must-demand-better/

Romanticlover

"Just ride a bicycle or buy an EV" - Pete Buttplug, Biden's transportation secretary
Are we having fun yet?

bats

Quote from: Romanticlover on Jun 28, 2023, 06:09 PMCar manufacturers are calling on the EPA and the Biden administration to rescind the mandate to do away with internal combustion vehicles.

Do you ever read the articles that you yourself link to? Here's part of it:

The auto-lobbying group said it doesn't oppose all regulations designed to accelerate the transition to electric vehicles, but suggested in its comments that the Biden administration lower its target to 40 or 50 percent electric sales by 2030, rather than the 67 percent by 2032 proposed by the current rule.

In a blog post, John Bozzella, the president of the group, suggested that the Biden administration include plug-in hybrid vehicles in its target, rather than pushing for such rapid adoption of all-electric vehicles. Plug-in hybrids use internal combustion engines in combination with battery power.

dogwalker

They want to allow bikes on freeways in the bay area. 
They are in a public comment phase so I wrote to them and said "are you nuts?"
I ride my bike but in areas far from any vehicle.

Romanticlover

Quote from: bats on Jun 28, 2023, 06:40 PMIn a blog post, John Bozzella, the president of the group, suggested that the Biden administration include plug-in hybrid vehicles in its target, rather than pushing for such rapid adoption of all-electric vehicles. Plug-in hybrids use internal combustion engines in combination with battery power.

I don't have a problem with hybrids, they are the best of both worlds. Diesel-electric locomotives have been used since the 1940's, they also had diesel-electric submarines since WWI. Biden, Newsom and the rest of the wackos only want all electric.

Are we having fun yet?

Romanticlover

Quote from: dogwalker on Jun 28, 2023, 07:34 PMThey want to allow bikes on freeways in the bay area. 
They are in a public comment phase so I wrote to them and said "are you nuts?"
I ride my bike but in areas far from any vehicle.

That's stupid and it will never work, there would be bicyclists hit everyday.

In Sac they spent millions on our stupid bike lanes that nobody uses, nobody is riding a bike to work in the rain or when it's 107F.
Are we having fun yet?

bats

Quote from: Romanticlover on Jun 28, 2023, 08:01 PMI don't have a problem with hybrids, they are the best of both worlds. Diesel-electric locomotives have been used since the 1940's, they also had diesel-electric submarines since WWI. Biden, Newsom and the rest of the wackos only want all electric.
Hybrids and plug-in hybrids are just a stepping stone to all-electric vehicles until there's more charging infrastructure and/or the expected revolution in battery technology is upon us. The manufacturers know this.

dogwalker

Almost all companies fight government regulations that result in them making less money.  Nothing new there.

Danno

my SO bought an all electric car 2 months ago. loves it, never going to gas station again. charge at home free with solar. her range has been 300 miles.
they are not for everyone. depends on where you drive
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

dogwalker

@romanticlover. No kidding. If they allow bikes on bay area freeways the first time someone is killed, they will reverse course.  This is not southeast asia or Holland. Freeways with the way people here speed and drive like maniacs are not meant for bikes.

I also gave the thumbs down on more express lanes they charge for.  They are annoying as hell.  Few use them so it crowds one lane of traffic into the few FREEway lanes that are left.