McConnell appears to freeze while speaking with reporters in Kentucky

Started by Blkfyre, Aug 30, 2023, 05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blkfyre

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell appeared to freeze for about 30 seconds on Wednesday while speaking with reporters after a speech in Covington, Kentucky.

The incident is similar to an episode McConnell experienced at the US Capitol late last month and is likely to raise additional questions about the fitness of the 81-year-old to lead the Senate Republican caucus.

Wednesday's episode occurred when a reporter asked the Republican leader if he was planning to run for reelection in 2026. McConnell had to ask him to repeat the question several times, chuckled for a moment, and then paused, closing his mouth and staring straight ahead.

Someone at his side then asked him, "Did you hear the question, senator, running for reelection in 2026?" McConnell did not respond.

"I'm sorry you all, we're gonna need a minute," the aide told reporters. A member of the senator's detail spoke quietly to him for a moment, and McConnell was able to whisper an answer to him.

McConnell, the leader of the Senate Republican caucus since 2007, has faced questions about his health throughout the year. He was treated for a concussion and fractured rib after falling at a hotel in Washington in March, returning to the Senate several weeks later.

In late July, McConnell froze for 30 seconds during a news conference on Capitol Hill. At the time, his office said the Kentucky Republican was "lightheaded" and Republicans later said that he was dehydrated. Speaking to reporters after the incident, McConnell insisted he was "fine."

Conservatives continually speak their opinion that Biden has mental issues and should step down, and yet, after falling, and now, a SECOND time where McConnell just freezes not responding even when aids come up to talk to him, NONE of them are saying he should step down.

Ah, hypocrisy...

bladegunner

he should step down as should fetterman and fienstein.
Agree +1 Agree +1 x 1 View List

dogwalker

Agree +1 Agree +1 x 1 View List

DoctorTaco

As i watched the NBC national news tonight they showed the clip. At the end of the segment NBC said, "Aides said he was dehydrated."

Dehydrated? Dehydrated? WTF. Dude is 81. 

I'll say it again, we need age limits for public office. Both Biden & Trump are old geezers. Currently, out of the 100 state senators, 10 are over age 77, including Mitch (81) & Diane (82). 

https://www.oldest.org/politics/members-of-us-senate/

bats

Quote from: DoctorTaco on Aug 31, 2023, 01:03 AMAs i watched the NBC national news tonight they showed the clip. At the end of the segment NBC said, "Aides said he was dehydrated."

Dehydrated? Dehydrated? WTF. Dude is 81. 

I'll say it again, we need age limits for public office. Both Biden & Trump are old geezers. Currently, out of the 100 state senators, 10 are over age 77, including Mitch (81) & Diane (82). 

https://www.oldest.org/politics/members-of-us-senate/
You're short-changing Dianne. She's 90. lol

While some of these folks are long in the tooth, and we might think it best for them to retire, their constituents should choose whether to re-elect them if that's what the people want.

Also, where would we draw the line? An age limit would disqualify some people who are quite able to serve.

The more I think about it (and the older I get) the less I like it. lol

HighStepper

As someone that is 81 years old, I don't think age per se is the key factor.
A man got to know his limitations
Sometimes a man needs family, friends, co-workers to help in understanding his limitations if he himself is not able to discern it.

Mitch McConnell was given a clean bill of health by the congressional physician to return to his work. McConnell had a fall with a concussion. The "freezing" is a part of the healing process.

I think in terms of a streaming program that starts buffering. After the buffering the program continues with the programming as intended.

We previously discussed cognitive testing https://fantasysaloon.com/index.php?msg=10354

At 81 I know my limitations. I don't run. I walk slow and steady. I hold the handrail when going up and down steps. Falling down can lead to fatal complications for old people. I don't have wild sex sessions with "party favors" anymore, lol.
Too much sex is still not enough.

dogwalker

McConnell is sometimes described as a turtle or raisin but the dehydration thing seems like a lame excuse to me.
If that was the case he should have learned to deal with it the last time he had that issue (and the solution is VERY simple-----bottles of water!) or his staff should be taking care of it.  I smell a cover up.  Might have had a small stroke that affects speech.  Might have Alzheimer's where he is starting to not understand questions or know the answer.

Danno

both of those episodes were seizures, I've witness about 10 of them over the years.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

dogwalker

HighStepper

Quote from: dogwalker on Aug 31, 2023, 05:06 PMYep could be a type of epilepsy too.

Whatever it is they would be  better served, IMHO, to be truthful about it. "Lightheaded" due to being dehydrated makes no sense. Drinking water is an easy fix for a competent person.

With respect to epilepsy, Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, had epilepsy. A person prone to epileptic seizures should not be a bus driver or an Uber driver. There is nothing about the job of US Senator that can't be carried out with epilepsy. Just wait till he stops "buffering" than carry on.

thaikhan

The world would be a better place if every active politician over 70 either retired or kicked the bucket.

HighStepper

Quote from: thaikhan on Sep 01, 2023, 01:45 AMThe world would be a better place if every active politician over 70 either retired or kicked the bucket.
That would means we could get rid of Marjorie Taylor Greene in 20 years and Lauren Boebert in over 30 years. (age is not the only consideration in making a better world.)

thaikhan

Yes, and age is one of those factors.  We have an age minimum, what is wrong with an age maximum? 

Danno

up to the people to vote them out. maybe term limits would be better, starting with the supreme court. most judges are the ones that the law firms didn't want and they nominated them to a judge position to get rid of them.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

Romanticlover

We've discussed this in other threads, the only way to enact term limits and age limits is for Congress to pass a bill and the President to sign it...which isn't likely. An amendment enacting term limits and age limits is even less likely. I'm surprised they passed the 22nd amendment, it was brought on because FDR was President for four terms.
Are we having fun yet?