Newsom Picks Replacement for Feinstein

Started by HighStepper, Oct 01, 2023, 09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighStepper

Newsom picks Laphonza Butler to replace Feinstein as interim Senator.

Newsom's office confirmed that his appointee would be free to run for a full term.
It isn't clear yet whether Butler will run. Link

You cannot view this attachment.
Too much sex is still not enough.

thaikhan

He picked someone who doesn't even live in the state to represent the State of California.  What the actual fuck?!  How does that represent his constituents??? 

HighStepper

Quote from: thaikhan on Oct 01, 2023, 09:17 PMHe picked someone who doesn't even live in the state to represent the State of California.  What the actual fuck?!  How does that represent his constituents??? 
  • In 2009, Butler moved to California, organizing in-home caregivers and nurses.
  • Butler was elected president of the California SEIU State Council in 2013. She undertook efforts to boost California's minimum wage and raise income taxes on the wealthiest Californians.
  • In 2015, Butler was appointed by Governor Jerry Brown to a 12-year term as a regent of the University of California.
  • Butler was known as a political ally of Harris since her first run for California Attorney

thaikhan

Unless multiple news outlets are lying, along with the governor office, she lists her residence as Maryland and is registered to vote there.

Butler currently lives in Maryland, but, the governor's office said, she owns a home in California and will switch her voter registration.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/gavin-newsom-laphonza-butler-fill-dianne-feinstein-senate-seat-rcna118052

HighStepper

I was pointing out Butler's long track record in California politics in response to the question about her ability to represent California constituent interests.

bats

Quote from: thaikhan on Oct 01, 2023, 09:17 PMHe picked someone who doesn't even live in the state to represent the State of California.  What the actual fuck?!  How does that represent his constituents??? 
Who gives a shit? She has been closely connected to California for a long time. Maybe she kicks it in Maryland for family reasons. Anyway, the Constitution only requires that she live in the state at the time of her election.

thaikhan

Why not put Putin in office then? It doesn't matter right? Better yet, Kim Jong Un's sister is available. It doesn't seem to matter

dogwalker

I'm just glad it wasn't Barbara Lee.

bats

Quote from: thaikhan on Oct 02, 2023, 12:00 AMWhy not put Putin in office then? It doesn't matter right? Better yet, Kim Jong Un's sister is available. It doesn't seem to matter
It matters. You must have missed the part about Ms. Butler's long-time connection and work in California. Besides, a U.S. senator has to have been a U.S. citizen for at least nine years.

Romanticlover

I've never heard of her and what the hell is Emily's List?
I'll bet he pissed off a bunch of California Democrats.
Are we having fun yet?

dogwalker

I never heard of Butler but EMILY's List is rather famous.  It's a pro-Democrat, pro-choice PAC that claims to have helped elect over 1700 women to political offices.  There is no "Emily".  I wrote EMILY in all caps because it's an acronym for Early Money Is Like Yeast.  They tend to fund early stage unknowns with the thinking that it's like angel investing for a business.  Some candidates need early cash to kick start more investment and generate interest.

Danno

perfect choice, now the candidates battle it out.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

HighStepper

Quote from: thaikhan on Oct 02, 2023, 12:00 AMWhy not put Putin in office then? It doesn't matter right? Better yet, Kim Jong Un's sister is available. It doesn't seem to matter
Spoken like a true Trump supporter, lol.

HighStepper

Quote from: dogwalker on Oct 02, 2023, 12:31 AMI'm just glad it wasn't Barbara Lee.
U.S. Representative Barbara Lee had some kind words for Laphonza Butler, chosen by Gov. Gavin Newsom to fill the U.S. Senate vacancy left by last week's death Feinstein. Lee said she is looking forward to working with Butler. Link

Lee previously criticized Newsom on his statements about appointing a black woman as a caretaker in the Senate sea, by saying it was an insult. Now that there is no longer a interim caretaker requirement, Lee was in agreement with that. While Butler is free to run for the seat, Lee has stated she will continue with her campaign with the voters to decide.

Bande

Quote from: bats on Oct 01, 2023, 11:13 PMWho gives a shit? She has been closely connected to California for a long time. Maybe she kicks it in Maryland for family reasons. Anyway, the Constitution only requires that she live in the state at the time of her election.

For any average person to be a Resident one has to reside in California for 6 months.
One supposedly can not get perks in California till 6months.
So, she gets to Register as a voter today and get sworn In tomorrow.
Yep, no Biases here at all..
Connected to California is completely different as in Residing.