Newsom Picks Replacement for Feinstein

Started by HighStepper, Oct 01, 2023, 09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bande

Quote from: HighStepper on Oct 02, 2023, 10:04 AMSpoken like a true Trump supporter, lol.

So the Governor appoints a Non Resident and to speak up about it one must be a Trump Supporter?
Typical comment made by people that have nothing better to Say..

bats

Quote from: Bande on Oct 02, 2023, 06:11 PMFor any average person to be a Resident one has to reside in California for 6 months.
One supposedly can not get perks in California till 6months.
So, she gets to Register as a voter today and get sworn In tomorrow.
Yep, no Biases here at all..
Connected to California is completely different as in Residing.
Oh no! Someone might be biased! We're all biased, bando. The question is, why get worked up over this particular issue? In the scheme of things it seems trivial. 

HighStepper

Quote from: Bande on Oct 02, 2023, 06:11 PMFor any average person to be a Resident one has to reside in California for 6 months.
  • People can become a California resident in a few days. Buy a house/sign a lease, get a DMV license, register to vote, get a job.
  • You are presumed a California resident for tax purposes if you spend more than nine months in the state
  • You have to have a year's residency for college tuition purposes
  • Takes 6 months of residency to get a divorce
The Constitution sets three qualifications for service in the U.S. Senate: age (at least thirty years of age); U.S. citizenship (at least nine years); and residency in the state a senator represents at time of election. The details of these qualifications were hammered out by the Constitution's framers during the Constitutional Convention in 1787. Link

If Newsom signed the paperwork while Butler was a Maryland resident, then he signs new ones after she reestablishes California residence.
Too much sex is still not enough.

HighStepper

Quote from: Bande on Oct 02, 2023, 06:43 PMSo the Governor appoints a Non Resident and to speak up about it one must be a Trump Supporter?
Typical comment made by people that have nothing better to Say..
Suggest you reread what precipitated the tongue in cheek response.

Quote from: thaikhan on Oct 02, 2023, 12:00 AMWhy not put Putin in office then? It doesn't matter right? Better yet, Kim Jong Un's sister is available. It doesn't seem to matter
Obviously he is being sarcastic. So, a humorous response. Also as pointed out above, Putin and Kim Jong Un's sister would not meet the 9 year US citizen requirement

To take it to a deeper level, "spoken like a Trump supporter" it is Benedict Donald that is in awe of Putin and fell in love with Kim Jong Un.

dogwalker

Who here still believes Obama was not born in the US (AND that it matters)?   lol
Butler owns a house in CA so it sounds like she can claim some level of residency.
Residency requirements for taxes, divorce, and college tuition......irrelevant to her appointment.
Also Butler was appointed not elected..... not sure if that changes the requirements.....just pointing it out.

HighStepper

Quote from: dogwalker on Oct 03, 2023, 12:40 AMWho here still believes Obama was not born in the US (AND that it matters)?  lol
Interesting question you raise. I had not given though to it for years. It would not surprise me if there are still a lot of people that still hold to that belief.

Aug. 10, 2016 Article:
Donald Trump launched his political ambitions by his fervent claims that President Barack Obama was not a U.S. citizen. Even though Obama was elected twice to the Presidency, seventy-two percent of registered Republican voters still doubt President Obama's citizenship. Link

Quote from: dogwalker on Oct 03, 2023, 12:40 AMButler owns a house in CA so it sounds like she can claim some level of residency.
Residency requirements for taxes, divorce, and college tuition......irrelevant to her appointment.
Also Butler was appointed not elected..... not sure if that changes the requirements.....just pointing it out.
Yes, I noticed that also. Direct election of US Senators by the people didn't happen until the Seventeenth Amendment in 1913.

Blkfyre

Nope, no biases, doing so is actually written into the Constitution: https://www.senate.gov/about/origins-foundations/senate-and-constitution/qualifications.htm

"Constitution. Article 5, section 3 of that draft stated, "Every member of the Senate shall be . . . at the time of his election, a resident of the state from which he shall be chosen."

There's precedent of a kind: Dick Cheney reestablished his Wyoming residence when running for Vice President with his otherwise-fellow-Texan George W. Bush.

So since she wasn't elected but appointed, her moving her residency before being sworn in is perfectly legal and no bias at all as Republicans have done it before as well.

thaikhan

Quote from: HighStepper on Oct 02, 2023, 10:04 AMSpoken like a true Trump supporter, lol.

I don't support Trump anymore than I support Biden. Both could die and I wouldn't care. Just because one doesn't support your party doesn't mean he supports the opposition. But... it's sadly to be expected from brain dead political zealots

HighStepper

I took your Trump/ Kim Jong Un comments to be sarcastic frustration. However, you walked into it so I said "like" not that you are. Hence the lol.

Danno

your way of saying you don't know what you are talking about
Quote from: thaikhan on Oct 03, 2023, 04:58 PMI don't support Trump anymore than I support Biden. Both could die and I wouldn't care. Just because one doesn't support your party doesn't mean he supports the opposition. But... it's sadly to be expected from brain dead political zealots
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

Bande

Quote from: Blkfyre on Oct 03, 2023, 02:48 AMNope, no biases, doing so is actually written into the Constitution: https://www.senate.gov/about/origins-foundations/senate-and-constitution/qualifications.htm

"Constitution. Article 5, section 3 of that draft stated, "Every member of the Senate shall be . . . at the time of his election, a resident of the state from which he shall be chosen."

There's precedent of a kind: Dick Cheney reestablished his Wyoming residence when running for Vice President with his otherwise-fellow-Texan George W. Bush.

So since she wasn't elected but appointed, her moving her residency before being sworn in is perfectly legal and no bias at all as Republicans have done it before as well.

In California to be a Resident one must reside for 6 months. California's rules. Therefore she is not a resident of California.  This has nothing to do with Senate rules due to every State may have different rules for residency. California's rule is 6 months residing, before residency is granted.

bats

Quote from: Bande on Oct 05, 2023, 09:43 PMIn California to be a Resident one must reside for 6 months. California's rules. Therefore she is not a resident of California.  This has nothing to do with Senate rules due to every State may have different rules for residency. California's rule is 6 months residing, before residency is granted.
There are different requirements for different situations. Apparently she's good to go for the Senate or someone would have brought a legal challenge, don't you think?

bladegunner

checking off boxes is nonsensical. case in point kamala.ridiculous. silly.

HighStepper

Quote from: Bande on Oct 05, 2023, 09:43 PMIn California to be a Resident one must reside for 6 months. California's rules. Therefore she is not a resident of California.  This has nothing to do with Senate rules due to every State may have different rules for residency. California's rule is 6 months residing, before residency is granted.
You keep saying that. I have not see a response to my argument against that assertion.
https://fantasysaloon.com/index.php?msg=15448

Do you have a source to document the "6 month rule" for California residency?

bats

I guess those who were outraged about Butler's appointment can now calm down. She's announced she won't run for the full six-year term in 2024.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/19/politics/laphonza-butler-not-running-senate-california/index.html