McCarthy Out as Speaker

Started by HighStepper, Oct 03, 2023, 02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bats

Quote from: Romanticlover on Oct 04, 2023, 07:54 AMYes, the House rule allowing one person to force a vote is stupid but so is allowing the minority party to vote.

Then I suggest you trek to D.C. to let those fools know that "Romanticlover" thinks the practice they've been using for almost 200 years is stupid.

Romanticlover

Quote from: bats on Oct 04, 2023, 10:03 AMThen I suggest you trek to D.C. to let those fools know that "Romanticlover" thinks the practice they've been using for almost 200 years is stupid.

I just might, I have a buffalo hat like the dude on Jan 6th. lol

Are we having fun yet?

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Oct 03, 2023, 04:03 PMAlmost every Democrat voted "Yea" to oust McCarthy but he is a moderate that is willing to reach across the aisle to get things done as was seen with the recent budget agreement, now they will be stuck with a MAGA speaker that won't want to reach across the aisle. Eight Republicans also voted "Yea".

This is the akin to "Cutting off your nose to spite your face".

Just a bunch of dysfunctional juveniles in Congress, if they aren't wearing hoodies they're pulling fire alarms.

You do get that the Democrats were not the one to "pull the fire alarm" right? That it was the Republicans who brought this to a vote? https://time.com/6320197/in-dramatic-vote-mccarthy-becomes-first-house-speaker-to-be-ousted-in-u-s-history/

"The move to oust McCarthy began after the California Republican relied on Democrats to avert a government shutdown. Gaetz, after days of warning and mounting tension, went on the House floor on Monday night to introduce a resolution that declared the speakership vacant, triggering an exceedingly rare process to compel a vote to determine whether McCarthy would retain his post as Speaker."

This was instigated by Republicans and supported by them. If it were not, it wouldn't have passed so trying to shift the blame onto Democrats is disingenuous.

Romanticlover

Quote from: Blkfyre on Oct 04, 2023, 12:08 PMThis was instigated by Republicans and supported by them. If it were not, it wouldn't have passed so trying to shift the blame onto Democrats is disingenuous.

It was brought on by ONE Republican(Gaetz) who is trying to bring in donations and make a name for himself, he was supported by only seven other Republicans who want anarchy. That one person rule is stupid and it should be thrown out. Many Republicans are calling for Gaetz to be expelled including Newt Gingrich.

As for the Democrats, all of them voted to oust McCarthy because they also want anarchy to show that the Republicans are in disarray, it was very childish to vote him out when McCarthy was willing to work with them.

I stand by my earlier statement that most reps in Congress are a bunch of dysfunctional juveniles.
Are we having fun yet?

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Oct 04, 2023, 12:21 PMIt was brought on by ONE Republican(Gaetz) who is trying to bring in donations and make a name for himself, he was supported by only seven other Republicans who want anarchy. That one person rule is stupid and it should be thrown out. Many Republicans are calling for Gaetz to be expelled including Newt Gingrich.

As for the Democrats, all of them voted to oust McCarthy because they also want anarchy to show that the Republicans are in disarray, it was very childish to vote him out when McCarthy was willing to work with them.

I stand by my earlier statement that most reps in Congress are a bunch of dysfunctional juveniles.

You mean the one person rule Mccarthy HIMSELF pushed for and got support from the rest of the Republicans?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/speaker-of-the-house-ousted-motion-to-vacate-rcna64902

"In his bid to become speaker of the House, Rep. Kevin McCarthy agreed to a number of concessions to secure the support of Republicans who originally opposed him. One was a rule change to allow just a single member to try to force him from office.

Under the new House rules passed Monday, only one member of Congress — Democrat or Republican — is needed to bring a "motion to vacate," which forces a vote on removing the speaker. That would need only a simple majority of the House to pass to oust McCarthy."

That rule?

Again, this was brought on BY THE REPUBLICANS. They instituted the rule and then used it. You can keep trying to make this about the Democrats but without Republicans changing the rule, without Republicans bringing it to vote, without Republicans joining in on it, it couldn't happen, no matter how much chaos the Democrats might have wanted to do.

bats

Last night, the lovely and talented Abby Phillip conducted a good little interview about this mess with a Florida Republican. I don't know anything about the congressman, but he made sense:

https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status/1709423144736284716

HighStepper

Quote from: HighStepper on Oct 03, 2023, 06:06 PMNo, the Democrats did not vote out McCarthy. The Republicans voted out McCarthy.
Quote from: Romanticlover on Oct 03, 2023, 06:20 PMThat's not true, every Democrat voted for his ouster...only 8 Republicans voted him out.
You are correct. I didn't make my point very well that the Democrats should not be blamed for the ouster of the Speaker.

Quote from: Romanticlover on Oct 04, 2023, 07:54 AMYes, the House rule allowing one person to force a vote is stupid...
Change of the rules for "motion to vacate" is desired by many Republicans, and suggested by Mitch McConnell. I am not sure of the process to bring this about.

Quote from: Blkfyre on Oct 04, 2023, 12:08 PMYou do get that the Democrats were not the one to "pull the fire alarm" right?
While you make a valid point, but a better metaphor might have been used, lol
Representative Jamaal Bowman, D-NY admitted pulling the fire alarm
Too much sex is still not enough.

Romanticlover

There's a strong chance Trump will be speaker in the interim. lol

Like I said earlier "Be careful what you wish for", you Democrats ousted McCarthy so now you get the orange man.
Are we having fun yet?

bats

Quote from: Romanticlover on Oct 06, 2023, 08:11 AMThere's a strong chance Trump will be speaker in the interim. lol

Like I said earlier "Be careful what you wish for", you Democrats ousted McCarthy so now you get the orange man.
Democrats didn't oust McCarthy. Sure, they could have voted to keep him in power, but it was a Republican who put McCarthy's speakership to a vote. Democrats voted the same way they voted all 15 times McCarthy ran the first time.

And the Democrats had good reason not to vote for him. That stupid, lazy POS thought he was playing them when he went on the Sunday talk shows, but all he did was prove once again that he can't be trusted. So he's gone.

Also, try to keep up. Trump has endorsed Gym Jordan for Speaker.

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/posts/111186121976324259

Romanticlover

Quote from: bats on Oct 06, 2023, 09:55 AMDemocrats didn't oust McCarthy. Sure, they could have voted to keep him in power, but it was a Republican who put McCarthy's speakership to a vote. Democrats voted the same way they voted all 15 times McCarthy ran the first time.

And the Democrats had good reason not to vote for him. That stupid, lazy POS thought he was playing them when he went on the Sunday talk shows, but all he did was prove once again that he can't be trusted. So he's gone.

Democrats just want anarchy and chaos when Republicans are in charge because the party matters more than the country.
Pelosi talked shit all the time about Republicans when she was speaker, it's called politics.

Like I said in the other thread: Y'all are a bunch of hypocrites
Are we having fun yet?

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Oct 06, 2023, 10:31 AMDemocrats just want anarchy and chaos when Republicans are in charge because the party matters more than the country.
Pelosi talked shit all the time about Republicans when she was speaker, it's called politics.

Like I said in the other thread: Y'all are a bunch of hypocrites

Yes, because Republican's NEVER do that...talk about hypocrites...
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

bats

Quote from: Romanticlover on Oct 06, 2023, 10:31 AMPelosi talked shit all the time about Republicans when she was speaker, it's called politics.
Nobody cares about "talking shit," and that's not why the Democrats allowed McCarthy to die on the vine. Even politicians who talk shit don't like it much when the people they have to work with can't keep their end of the bargain.

McCarthy failed to keep his word with both his own caucus and with the Democrats. That's the reason he's out. He did it to himself.

Don't get it twisted.

Danno

Quote from: Romanticlover on Oct 06, 2023, 10:31 AMDemocrats just want anarchy and chaos when Republicans are in charge

The GOP is nothing but chaos, no help needed. popcorn ready for the circle jerk when they try a replace vote.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome