Trump promised to scrap climate laws if US oil bosses donated $1bn

Started by Blkfyre, May 10, 2024, 09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blkfyre

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/09/trump-oil-ceo-donation

Donald Trump dangled a brazen "deal" in front of some of the top US oil bosses last month, proposing that they give him $1bn for his White House re-election campaign and vowing that once back in office he would instantly tear up Joe Biden's environmental regulations and prevent any new ones, according to a bombshell new report.

According to the Washington Post, the former US president made his jaw-dropping pitch, which the paper described as "remarkably blunt and transactional", at a dinner at his Mar-a-Lago home and club.

In front of more than 20 executives, including from Chevron, Exxon and Occidental Petroleum, he promised to increase oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, remove hurdles to drilling in the Alaskan Arctic, and reverse new rules designed to cut car pollution. He would also overturn the Biden administration's decision in January to pause new natural gas export permits which have been denounced as "climate bombs".

"You'll get it on the first day," Trump said, according to the Post, citing an unnamed dinner attendee.

Trump's exhortation to the oil executives that they were wealthy enough to pour $1bn into his campaign war-chest, at the same time pledging a U-turn on Biden's efforts to combat the climate crisis, was immediately denounced on Wednesday by environmental groups.

"$1bn for Trump, a devastating climate future for the rest of us," said Pete Maysmith of the League of Conservation Voters (LCV).

HighStepper

Oil production has been higher under Biden than under Trump. The U.S. leads the world in oil production.
Too much sex is still not enough.

Danno

we still gave big oil $440 Billion in Subsidies and they still rip us off.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome