Rent

Started by Hobby, Jul 17, 2024, 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobby

Congress needs to pass a law on landlords they can't raise rent unless they can justify the need to charge more.  Many landlords have owned their rentals for years and years have little increase to cost of the apartment but when other landlords raise their rent they raise their rents.  I know supply and demand.  I just think it would be fair landlords have to justify the increase. I sure am happy I bought a home fix rate 3.2% VA otherwise I be paying 500 more in rent..  Something has to be done for rent control otherwise there will be more tents in the parks!
Hobby

Danno

AB 1482 does limit increases to 5%, there conditions though.
The GOP's plan for housing is to deport 80 million people.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

Romanticlover

It's the property owners and they can charge whatever the market will bear, if you put controls into effect then
the owners will sell instead of putting up with rent control. Rent control also means less rentals because there's less incentive to build new units. Instead of rent control the government needs to get rid of all the permit requirements and give tax credits to builders.
Are we having fun yet?

Rockeyhard

Quote from: Romanticlover on Jul 18, 2024, 08:50 AMIt's the property owners and they can charge whatever the market will bear, if you put controls into effect then
the owners will sell instead of putting up with rent control. Rent control also means less rentals because there's less incentive to build new units. Instead of rent control the government needs to get rid of all the permit requirements and give tax credits to builders.

Bravo!  You are exactly correct! I have been a landlord on multiple houses for many years!  If my rents are too high people move.  Supply and demand are the forces that govern rents out more government!  Such a liberal way of thinking to make more government.

CigarMan

Long term in every place that rent control was in place, the cost of shelter has increased.  A simple axiom is if the government is "helping" your screwed.

bats

Quote from: Danno on Jul 18, 2024, 08:33 AMThe GOP's plan for housing is to deport 80 million people.
This is an exaggeration, but JD Vance really does think mass deportations will help:
You cannot view this attachment.

Hobby

Quote from: Rockeyhard on Jul 18, 2024, 09:42 AMBravo!  You are exactly correct! I have been a landlord on multiple houses for many years!  If my rents are too high people move.  Supply and demand are the forces that govern rents out more government!  Such a liberal way of thinking to make more government.

I disagree landlords rip the people off.  Then if landlords don't like it the government should build or buy apartments and collect the rent.
Hobby

Rockeyhard

Landlords rip people off?  That is like saying car dealerships rip people off.  It's an agreement between two parties.  If you don't like it don't rent.  Saying that the government should build housing is ridiculous!  Government can't even run itself fairly!

HighStepper

Rent control is set by municipalities. It is local government's way of pushing on to the landlords the problem of housing, due to government's failures to adequately address the issue with sound planning and development policies.
Too much sex is still not enough.

bats

Quote from: Rockeyhard on Jul 18, 2024, 11:49 AMLandlords rip people off?  That is like saying car dealerships rip people off.  It's an agreement between two parties.  If you don't like it don't rent.  Saying that the government should build housing is ridiculous!  Government can't even run itself fairly!
This ignores the fact that the number of decent housing units is limited. Since people have to live someplace, it doesn't make sense to say, "If you don't like it, don't rent."

Rockeyhard

Quote from: bats on Jul 18, 2024, 01:10 PMThis ignores the fact that the number of decent housing units is limited. Since people have to live someplace, it doesn't make sense to say, "If you don't like it, don't rent."
No I believe it totally makes sense.  The problem is some people want to live in areas they cannot afford.  If the rent is too high they need to sacrifice and move to an area they can afford.  For example, the Bay Area demands a premium and moving to say Dixon would be more affordable.

bats

Quote from: Rockeyhard on Jul 18, 2024, 01:42 PMNo I believe it totally makes sense.  The problem is some people want to live in areas they cannot afford.  If the rent is too high they need to sacrifice and move to an area they can afford.  For example, the Bay Area demands a premium and moving to say Dixon would be more affordable.
I understood what you were saying. I was trying to point out that the housing market is such that the number of decent units is in limited supply. That limited supply is the cause of high rents. It's not like the used car market.

And people are already sacrificing. They live with multiple roommates, move to less desirable areas, and sometimes even live in their vehicles (if they own one).

zep

Increase tax incentives and cut red tape to get builders to build, build, build.  No rent control would be needed. Once there are too many apts and homes, rent will come down.   Building homes creates good jobs for working class people. create incentives for builders to train and hire homeless. As jobs are offered, food stamps and welfare are stopped. People would have choices to make.

bats

Quote from: Zep on Jul 18, 2024, 02:15 PMIncrease tax incentives and cut red tape to get builders to build, build, build.  No rent control would be needed. Once there are too many apts and homes, rent will come down.  Building homes creates good jobs for working class people. create incentives for builders to train and hire homeless. As jobs are offered, food stamps and welfare are stopped. People would have choices to make.
Sounds great. Now we just have to convince Republicans to get over their hatred of immigrants so we'll have enough people to fill those construction jobs. 

thaikhan

So we talking politics outside of the political forum now?