Opinions

Started by Venus, Apr 24, 2022, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Venus

This is MY opinion to this political forum 😁

It's perfect because it's how most of you truly think in here lol 🙄

Hobby

HighStepper

Often what we see is a BIAS not an OPINION.

The dictionary definitions seem to treat these words (opinion, bias) as if they were close to being synonyms. 
I differentiate them on a rather simplistic basis.
  • It has been said that you have a right to your own opinions. However, you do not have a right to your own facts. The facts are the facts.
  • It is how we interpret those facts that give rise to our OPINION.
  • We differ in opinion because we differ in how we interpret the facts.
  • People with opinions understand and accept that there can be different interpretations and thus different opinions.
  • If a person is provided with new facts or additional facts, different understandings can occur, leading to a change in opinion.

On the other hand BIAS, unlike opinion, is often not connected to facts.
  • Bias tends to not accept that there could be other legitimate opinions.
  • Bias is not open to considering new facts.
  • New facts are not accepted as facts. "My mind is made up don't confuse me with the facts." lol

So, if in a discussion different opinions are found, a discussion about facts and interpretations can be productive.

Should bias be found you can:
  • Move on.
  • If you're from the South say, "God bless"
  • Post a rebuttal. However, keep in mind your words are intended for the other thread readers with an open mind.

Too much sex is still not enough.

Romanticlover

I like the old saying: "Opinions are like assholes...everybody has one"
Are we having fun yet?

Zep

Quote from: Romanticlover on Apr 24, 2022, 05:38 PMI like the old saying: "Opinions are like assholes...everybody has one"

And... Most stink!!!   Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
We all got two lives. The second one begins when you realize you only have one.