Lower Cost of Trucking

Started by Hobby, May 21, 2022, 10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobby

A few things California could do to help lower the cost of food and other commodities would be to increase the max gross weight of trucking.  Currently, the max is 80,000 pounds. Increasing to 100,000 would mean more cargo transported for a slight increase in diesel fuel, a good environmental tradeoff.  Another would be to allow as in other states, allow triple trailers. California could eliminate the fuel tax which would also help to lower the cost of trucking. Diesel fuel makes everything move from big rigs, farming equipment to trains. Diesel fuel goes up so does the cost of shipping gets passed on to consumers.

Danno

we already have enough big rig wrecks
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

Blkfyre

That could just add cost on the back end. Heavier/longer/multiple trucks ads to the road's deterioration causing traffic issues, increase in costs of roadwork, increased wear and tear on your car from bad roads...

Bande

Quote from: Danno on May 21, 2022, 01:57 PMwe already have enough big rig wrecks
Lots of big rig wrecks I have seen involve careless drivers with illegal maneuvers.

Hobby

Quote from: Blkfyre on May 21, 2022, 03:01 PMThat could just add cost on the back end. Heavier/longer/multiple trucks ads to the road's deterioration causing traffic issues, increase in costs of roadwork, increased wear and tear on your car from bad roads...

You don't know what the fuck you are talking about... Roads today are built stronger and more durable. Interstates are mostly concrete surfaces. Other states allow for heavier loads and triple trailers. Trucks today are built stronger and safer. And we are not talking about local delivery trucks. Talking about trucks that travel the interstates and freeways from one end of California to the other. Actually with triple trailers there would be less wear and tear not more...

Tuscano

I am not knowledgeable on the subject other than to rant about how truckers have been fucked in recent decades. Back in the day, it was a good well paying job. Now it is shit!
Vorresti essere me

Danno

not bad for someone without an education
#   Company (Click For Profile)   Annual Pay
1   GP Transco   $90,000
2   Barr-Nunn   $87,142
3   Wal-Mart   $86,000
4   Epes Transport   $83,921
5   Hogan Transportation   $83,876
6   Mercer Transportation   $83,740
7   Grand Island Express   $83,000
8   Artur Express Inc   $82,955
9   ATS Trucking   $80,000
10   Brady Trucking   $79,906
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

Hobby

Quote from: Zep on May 21, 2022, 06:19 PMThere are a few freeways in California that could handle triples.  Need staging areas and meet points to break down triples to doubles or singles to move once near destinations.  Not sure the expense of these improvements is warranted.  Pulling triples through the plaines of Dakotas, Wyoming Oklahoma or Texas is a totally different animal than through the mountains or urban areas of California.

A 20% increase in weight on each axel means longer stopping distances and slower acceleration, both items not favored by the majority of California drivers. I also agree that the wear on roads would need to be taken into consideration.

There probably would be certain areas impractical for triple trailers because of length not the weight. For agriculture it would help get more crop to the packing house for less time and fuel cost.

Blkfyre

Quote from: Hobby on May 21, 2022, 06:10 PMYou don't know what the fuck you are talking about... Roads today are built stronger and more durable. Interstates are mostly concrete surfaces. Other states allow for heavier loads and triple trailers. Trucks today are built stronger and safer. And we are not talking about local delivery trucks. Talking about trucks that travel the interstates and freeways from one end of California to the other. Actually with triple trailers there would be less wear and tear not more...

I may not, but these people do: https://highways.dot.gov/public-roads/mayjun-2009/exploring-vehicle-size-and-weight-solutions

"However, the amount of infrastructure damage an overweight vehicle causes is geometrically larger than the weight increase; for example, an increase in axle weight from 18,000 pounds to 20,000 pounds causes 50 percent more damage to the pavement. Given the capital investment currently spent to maintain existing infrastructure — 88 percent of the total amount of Federal-Aid Highway Program funds in 2007 were obligated for restoration and rehabilitation, resurfacing, and reconstruction — it is critical that adequate size and weight enforcement be in place."

Hobby

Quote from: Blkfyre on May 22, 2022, 07:55 PMI may not, but these people do: https://highways.dot.gov/public-roads/mayjun-2009/exploring-vehicle-size-and-weight-solutions

"However, the amount of infrastructure damage an overweight vehicle causes is geometrically larger than the weight increase; for example, an increase in axle weight from 18,000 pounds to 20,000 pounds causes 50 percent more damage to the pavement. Given the capital investment currently spent to maintain existing infrastructure — 88 percent of the total amount of Federal-Aid Highway Program funds in 2007 were obligated for restoration and rehabilitation, resurfacing, and reconstruction — it is critical that adequate size and weight enforcement be in place."

You cite a source from Public Roads - May/Jun 2009
You are a funny guy... Think things might have improved in technology in the last 13 years?

Blkfyre

Quote from: Hobby on May 22, 2022, 08:15 PMYou cite a source from Public Roads - May/Jun 2009
You are a funny guy... Think things might have improved in technology in the last 13 years?

Fair enough:

https://pawnstorm.net/2021/06/15/the-new-f-150-lightning-a-little-heavier-a-lot-more-damage.html#:~:text=What%20this%20means%20is%20that,much%20damage%20to%20the%20roads. - 15 Jun 2021

"What this means is that road wear increases with the vehicle's axle weight raised to the fourth power. So, if a vehicle is twice as heavy (and has the same number of axles), it will do 16 times as much damage to the roads."

https://www.roadbotics.com/2021/02/25/the-what-why-and-how-of-potholes/ - February 25, 2021

"Trucks with multiple axles have the exponential effect on pavement surfaces compared to regular passenger vehicles."

https://higherlogicdownload.s3.amazonaws.com/IPWEA/c7e19de0-08d5-47b7-ac3f-c198b11cd969/UploadedImages/pdfs/Info%20sheets/IS-06_4th_Power_Law.pdf - September 2017

"Vehicle Loads and Pavement Wear  It is common understanding that the traffic-induced wear of road pavements is largely due to the wheel loading brought about by commercial heavy vehicles. Damage caused to pavements sharply increases with the axle loading. Addis (1992) contends that while  traditionally it has been held that static axle loads of heavy vehicles is the primary determinant of pavement deterioration, other factors can likewise contribute to deterioration such as:  • Type of Axle (number of wheels and type of tyres) • Axle arrangement • Surface contact pressure of tyre • Suspension system On its own or in combination, these factors alter the basic structural wear mechanism functioning in the pavement thus influencing the static axle load-wear relationship"

Hobby

If big rigs damage road surfaces and increasing the load will cause more damage to road surfaces then it stands to reason more jobs to maintain the roads will be needed, right?  Not a bad thing unless you are against creating more jobs for lesser skilled workers. Seems to me, to be a win, win... more freight is transported with less diesel, and more jobs are created to take care of the roads...

HighStepper

I remember those I-5 nightmare lane closures with traffic backups during road repairs.
Too much sex is still not enough.

Blkfyre

Quote from: Hobby on May 22, 2022, 10:50 PMIf big rigs damage road surfaces and increasing the load will cause more damage to road surfaces then it stands to reason more jobs to maintain the roads will be needed, right?  Not a bad thing unless you are against creating more jobs for lesser skilled workers. Seems to me, to be a win, win... more freight is transported with less diesel, and more jobs are created to take care of the roads...

You do realize Republicans are fighting tooth and nail to STOP more money being spent for infrastructure, you know, the thing you so blithely say is a good thing?

bats

Quote from: Hobby on May 22, 2022, 10:50 PMIf big rigs damage road surfaces and increasing the load will cause more damage to road surfaces then it stands to reason more jobs to maintain the roads will be needed, right? 
This is genius! What we oughtta do is make less durable roadways so we can be sure the damage caused by vehicular traffic increases, thereby creating an endless supply of jobs!