Pelosi did not block the National Guard from the Capitol on Jan. 6

Started by Hobby, Jun 11, 2022, 08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobby

CLAIM: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi blocked the National Guard from coming to the Capitol during the Jan. 6 insurrection.

AP'S ASSESSMENT: False. As Speaker of the House, Pelosi does not direct the National Guard. Further, as the Capitol came under attack, she and the Senate Majority leader called for military assistance, including the National Guard.

THE FACTS: On Tuesday, a false claim about the deadly Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol resurfaced suggesting that Pelosi blocked the National Guard from coming to lawmakers' defense during the insurrection at the Capitol.

"@SpeakerPelosi, why did you block the National Guard from protecting the Capitol?" Indiana Rep. Jim Banks tweeted.

Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy posed a similar question on Fox News saying, "Was there a decision by the Speaker not to have the National Guard at the Capitol that day?"

The answer is no.

"On January 6th, the Speaker, a target of an assassination attempt that day, was no more in charge of Capitol security than Mitch McConnell was. This is a clear attempt to whitewash what happened on January 6th and divert blame," Drew Hammill, a spokesperson for Pelosi told The Associated Press in an email.

The decision on whether to call National Guard troops to the Capitol is made by what is known as the Capitol Police Board, which is made up of the House Sergeant at Arms, the Senate Sergeant at Arms and the Architect of the Capitol. The board decided not to call the guard ahead of the insurrection but did eventually request assistance after the rioting had already begun, and the troops arrived several hours later.

The House Sergeant at Arms reports to Pelosi and the Senate Sergeant at Arms reported to McConnell, a Republican who was then Senate Majority Leader. There is no evidence that either directed the security officials not to call the guard beforehand, and Hammill said after the insurrection that Pelosi was never informed of such a request.

The officials on the board, along with the former Capitol Police chief, Steven Sund, have disputed each others' accounts of who requested the guard when. Both Sergeants of Arms and the police chief resigned immediately after the attack.

Once Trump's supporters were assaulting police and breaking into the building, Pelosi and Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer appealed to military leaders, asking the Army to deploy the National Guard.

"The Speaker believes security officials should make security decisions. The Speaker immediately signaled her support for the deployment of the National Guard when she was presented with that recommendation on the afternoon of January 6th. Public testimony confirms the fact that the Speaker was not made aware of any request for such a deployment prior to then," Hammill said in a statement this week.

Republicans have falsely laid the blame on Pelosi without mentioning that GOP Leader McConnell had similar authority over the security officials that day. But there is no evidence that either was involved in any effort to block the National Guard before or during the insurrection.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-235651652542

Hobby

I agree that Pelosi was not at fault for anything that happened on Jan. 6.  Trump started this by saying he requested 20,000 Nation Guard but there is really no proof of this other than someone at the DOD saying he did and was told they could not act on his request... or something along those lines... I say it's rubbish... It's Trump trying to CYA as he said to peacefully protest once in the fiery speech he gave on Jan 6. Nope Republicans can try to shift blame and make up shit all they want, I am not buyinging it this time... Trump is responsible... 

HighStepper

Kevin McCarthy is getting GOP members to conduct a counter-investigation into the Jan. 6th Capitol attack focusing on the Capitol's security.
This is about the best he can do to placate the MAGA base and try to stay in good graces with Trump.

Too much sex is still not enough.

dogwalker

too long to read....does not affect me....I don't care....they can all go to hell

Blkfyre

Quote from: HighStepper on Jun 11, 2022, 09:33 PMKevin McCarthy is getting GOP members to conduct a counter-investigation into the Jan. 6th Capitol attack focusing on the Capitol's security.
This is about the best he can do to placate the MAGA base and try to stay in good graces with Trump.

Wasn't he one of the ones who said the Jan 6th investigation that there wasn't enough to justify the cost of the investigation? But now he's throwing more money at something that should have had money spent on it at all???

Bande

[/quote]You are Wrong..

I say you are Wrong. Pelosi is ultimately responsible in the chain for refusing services. My thoughts to proceed with an agenda to Smear Trump once again. The Mayor refused and Pelosi refused. You continue to believe in the Leftist who have been proven to have lied and full of corruption. Leftist are doing there best to Smear Trump and have not learned after all their failures. Along with WASTING our $$$$$$$$.
Therefore we respectfully disagree with your assertation.

Hobby

Quote from: HighStepper on Jun 11, 2022, 09:33 PMKevin McCarthy is getting GOP members to conduct a counter-investigation into the Jan. 6th Capitol attack focusing on the Capitol's security.

Kevin McCarthy just like his brother Mark is a lying SOB. I have said before I worked with his piece of shit brother who told stories about Kevin

Bande

Quote from: Hobby on Jun 12, 2022, 04:38 PMIf we are going down a chain then so are you responsible for voting for Trump in the first place...lol

Hell of a lot better than ChinaBiden. Gotta love ChinaBidens economy...

Hobby

Quote from: Bande on Jun 12, 2022, 04:30 PMYou are Wrong..

I say you are Wrong. Pelosi is ultimately responsible in the chain for refusing services. My thoughts to proceed with an agenda to Smear Trump once again. The Mayor refused and Pelosi refused. You continue to believe in the Leftist who have been proven to have lied and full of corruption. Leftist are doing there best to Smear Trump and have not learned after all their failures. Along with WASTING our $$$$$$$$.
Therefore we respectfully disagree with your assertation.

Your Wrong... because you say so...LOL

If we are going down a chain then so are you responsible for voting for Trump in the first place...lol

I dedicate this song just for you... to have something to blame it on...

HighStepper

Quote from: Bande on Jun 12, 2022, 04:39 PMhttps://townhall.com/capitol-voices/congressmanjodyhice/2022/06/09/10000-reasons-pelosi-is-to-blame-for-security-failures-on-jan-6-n2608510

Article by Republican Jody Hice. The hyperbole headline is the first red flag that this is a lying politician. This defies credibility on so many levels.
"There are 10,000 reasons why Nancy Pelosi is singularly negligent in the U.S. Capitol's comprehensive security failures on January 6th. Instead of addressing her willful negligence, she is pointing her finger at the person whose help she ignored, President Donald Trump."

Regarding the other posted links:
Article referencing Republican Rodney Davis of Illinois is one that has been pushing the narrative the OP posted fact checks on.
I'm not that familiar with Pawlrevere media outlet with the year and a half article by JIGGSEY1946

Too much sex is still not enough.