SCOTUS Expected To Publish Abortion Decision Friday June 24

Started by Hobby, Jun 23, 2022, 04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobby

Everyone is expecting the SC to publish the leaked abortion decision on Friday June 24 because starting Monday the SC will be on vacation until October...Talk about your perks! The abortion issue decision is expect to send abortion back to the states on a 5-4 vote.

dogwalker

It's already been published albeit unofficially.  Does not seem likely there'd be any surprises.

Hobby

Quote from: dogwalker on Jun 23, 2022, 04:55 PMIt's already been published albeit unofficially.  Does not seem likely there'd be any surprises.
It could be a 6-3 vote depending on Robert's vote

dogwalker

Overturned on 6-3 vote.  Now up to states to implement their own laws which many already have.

Hobby

California won't be changing any of its abortion laws.

Blkfyre

Quote from: Hobby on Jun 24, 2022, 08:37 AMCalifornia won't be changing any of its abortion laws.

Actually, California pre-emptively took the opportunity to beef up its laws in this regard:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/23/politics/california-bill-protecting-abortion-civil-action/index.html?

Danno

better stock up on condoms, they are going after those next.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

lifes_good

Quote from: dogwalker on Jun 24, 2022, 07:57 AMOverturned on 6-3 vote.  Now up to states to implement their own laws which many already have.

This must be one of the four things DW cares about!

Hobby

I would not be surprised that the so called leak was planned to give us a heads up in hopes of a soft landing when the SC published their decision. Just think what be happening and may still had a prior notice was not given and today the SC announced Roe V Wade was overturned...

Bande

Quote from: Blkfyre on Jun 24, 2022, 09:13 AMActually, California pre-emptively took the opportunity to beef up its laws in this regard:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/23/politics/california-bill-protecting-abortion-civil-action/index.html?

California can not do anything about other state laws. Residence of those States are subject to their State laws. Period!

Just like how would California feel if a California residence went out of State to circumvent California laws.

If California does this I see many States not honoring California laws to visiting Californians.

dogwalker

No this is not one of the 4-5 things I MOST care about because I am not a female. 
I was just reporting the vote which was wrong anyway because I read an early breaking story that was wrong.

Romanticlover

Quote from: Blkfyre on Jun 24, 2022, 09:13 AMActually, California pre-emptively took the opportunity to beef up its laws in this regard:

That law won't hold up in Federal appeals court, if a person is sued in one state then another state cannot nullify the case.
Are we having fun yet?

Blkfyre

Quote from: Bande on Jun 24, 2022, 04:32 PMCalifornia can not do anything about other state laws. Residence of those States are subject to their State laws. Period!

Just like how would California feel if a California residence went out of State to circumvent California laws.

If California does this I see many States not honoring California laws to visiting Californians.

Not sure what you are saying. I didn't mention California in relation to other states, just it's own laws. As far as California laws not being respected, California doesn't have the same open carry law as say Texas and yet doesn't see California not saying the Texas law is invalid and telling people not to go there.  Could you please explain?

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Jun 24, 2022, 05:12 PMThat law won't hold up in Federal appeals court, if a person is sued in one state then another state cannot nullify the case.

Uhm, the whole point of removing Roe v Wade is it is NOT a federal court issue. So, ya know, won't go there, state's rights and all.

Or are states rights superseding federal only applicable to what conservates want it to?

Romanticlover

This explains the CA bill:

'The measure would make it so that "another state's law authorizing a civil action against a person or entity that receives or seeks, performs or induces, or aids or abets the performance of an abortion, or who attempts or intends to engage in those actions" is contrary to California public policy, and is unenforceable by California courts.'

If a defendant doesn't show up to civil court where the lawsuit was filed then the judge can issue a bench warrant or the judge can rule the plaintiff won the case. If the defendant moves to California then the bench warrant is still legal in the state it was issued, if a defendant takes it to Federal appeals court then they will certainly lose due states rights. Moral of the story: if you want to get an abortion then move to a state that allows it.
Are we having fun yet?