Senate Republicans block bill to help vets exposed to burn pits

Started by HighStepper, Aug 01, 2022, 08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighStepper

Activists Jon Stewart expressed anger and frustration on Capitol Hill toward Republican senators who blocked a bipartisan bill that would expand health care access for military veterans exposed to toxic burn pits. Link
Too much sex is still not enough.

Tuscano

Shocking! default! Repubs support Vets! Never forget they are all fucking politicians!
Vorresti essere me

Hobby

Democrats have an extra 400 billion in the bill not related is why Republicans won't vote for it...
Hobby

Romanticlover

They voted no because it's a slush fund full of pork.
I'm a vet but the actual percentage of service members who were exposed to burn pits is less than 1%, the Dems are acting as if all vets are suffering.
Are we having fun yet?

Hobby

Democrats are using this as means to make Republicans look bad, they knew darn well Republicans would not vote for it... If they say no to the bill then they are antivet. If they say yes then they have their pork and eat it too.
Hobby

Romanticlover

That's how Dems get all of these welfare bills to pass, by playing the guilt card.
"If you don't vote for this this bill you are heartless"

Look at the pandemic relief money(CARES Act), a lot of it went to fraudsters and they keep arresting them but we will never get the money back.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edpa/pr/feds-charge-19-defendants-pandemic-fraud-over-24-million
Are we having fun yet?

Danno

gee I wonder who said it is full of pork. hint. starts with F.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

HighStepper

Quote from: Romanticlover on Aug 02, 2022, 08:40 AMThey voted no because it's a slush fund full of pork.
I'm a vet but the actual percentage of service members who were exposed to burn pits is less than 1%, the Dems are acting as if all vets are suffering.
You were a veteran, but obviously you didn't make the ultimate sacrifice. Give those only percentages to the families of veterans dying from cancer.
  • Veterans have been fighting this issue for over 15 years.
  • The "budgetary gimmick" was in the bill when the Senate voted it for it 84 -14 on June 16th.
  • Congress will still have budgetary oversight over VA's spending. Not about "pork."

It doesn't help when "lying Ted" Cruz makes a video with inaccuracies. He called it a $400 billion "blank check" for "unrelated pork that will supercharge inflation." Link

BTW, it is unfortunate that Senator Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania will not be returning. He is one of the good ones.

Romanticlover

A certain percentage of all people(not just vets) will get cancer in their lifetime.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/understanding/statistics

There's scant evidence that the burn pits increased that risk to vets.

I would rather that money go to housing homeless vets and getting them substance abuse and mental health resources.

Are we having fun yet?

Hobby

Quote from: Romanticlover on Aug 02, 2022, 08:54 AMThat's how Dems get all of these welfare bills to pass, by playing the guilt card.
"If you don't vote for this this bill you are heartless"

Look at the pandemic relief money(CARES Act), a lot of it went to fraudsters and they keep arresting them but we will never get the money back.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edpa/pr/feds-charge-19-defendants-pandemic-fraud-over-24-million

Hey now! I love the Democrats for the money they sent me...LOL If Government is going to be stupid and send free money I won't argue... I know it was a loan and I am paying it back now in inflation.  But having high inflation will give me a larger COLA raise in 2023... so I go with the flow now...
Hobby

HighStepper

Quote from: Romanticlover on Aug 02, 2022, 12:30 PMA certain percentage of all people(not just vets) will get cancer in their lifetime.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/understanding/statistics

There's scant evidence that the burn pits increased that risk to vets.

I would rather that money go to housing homeless vets and getting them substance abuse and mental health resources.

If you can't take care of your soldiers when they come back from war, don't send them to war.

On April 25, 2022, VA announced that nine rare respiratory cancers are now presumed service-connected disabilities due to military environmental exposures to fine particulate matter. These cancers include:
  • Squamous cell carcinoma of the larynx
  • Squamous cell carcinoma of the trachea
  • Adenocarcinoma of the trachea
  • Salivary gland-type tumors of the trachea
  • Adenosquamous carcinoma of the lung
  • Large cell carcinoma of the lung
  • Salivary gland-type tumors of the lung
  • Sarcomatoid carcinoma of the lung
  • Typical and atypical carcinoid of the lung
Link

HighStepper

Whatever the fucking reason vets are getting sick, they need to be cared for. Why is that so hard to understand?

Hobby

Quote from: HighStepper on Aug 02, 2022, 02:46 PMWhatever the fucking reason vets are getting sick, they need to be cared for. Why is that so hard to understand?

What? Who says they don't get care for it?  They just can't get disability payments for it... I am a Vet and I am in the VA medical program, they treat my heart disease now and if I need a valve replacement they will take care of it.  I have the same access to all medical treatments and drugs as I did with my private health insurance.  There are so many diseases out there you can get, the only reason you don't is that you did not live long enough... Dr. House Md. Does that mean if you happen to develop a disease other Vets are getting is proof of being service connected?  How many with the same illness did not serve as compared to those that did?  Yes, there has been ongoing complaining about this for longer than 15 years but what the Dems are doing now is putting pork in the bill knowing Republicans won't go for it...
Hobby

HighStepper

The US Senate voted 86-11 on Tuesday to provide billions of dollars in new aid to military veterans who were exposed to burn pits
 and other sources of potentially lethal toxins while deployed abroad. Link