Biden signs new executive order on abortion rights

Started by Blkfyre, Aug 03, 2022, 06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blkfyre

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/03/politics/joe-biden-abortion-executive-order/index.html

"Emergency medical care being denied to women experiencing miscarriages, doctors uncertain about what they can do to provide for their patients, pharmacists unsure whether they can fill prescriptions that they've always filled before, a tragic case of rape survivors, including a 10-year-old girl forced to travel to another state for care," Biden said before signing the order.

The order comes the day after Kansas voters handed abortion-rights advocates a massive victory and defeating a measure that would have allowed the GOP-led legislature to impose new restrictions. It was a vote that Biden celebrated at the White House.

"In a decisive victory, voters made it clear that politicians should not interfere with the fundamental rights of women. And the voters of Kansas sent a powerful signal that this fall the American people will vote to preserve and protect the right and refuse to let them be ripped away by politicians," Biden said at the event. "And my administration has their back."

Romanticlover

I'm sure many states will take this executive order to court and it won't hold up.

From the article:
'Ultimately, however, there is no action the President can take to restore the nationwide right to an abortion, and Biden has publicly acknowledged that his options to expand abortion access remain limited.'
Are we having fun yet?

Hobby

I am pretty certain in all the states there will some sort of access to abortion with limitations.  I don't see the voters of any state saying 100% No. 
Hobby

Blkfyre

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Hobby

The majority of Americans are not entirely against abortion.  They don't want late-term abortions right up to delivery.   Most likely abortions during the first trimester will be allowed in most states.  This is a moral issue, not a legal issue or personal rights and it is up to voters in each state to impose abortion restrictions, not the federal government's business. There is no argument here, the Supreme Court has sent Roe v Wade back to the states to decide!
Hobby

bats

Quote from: Hobby on Aug 04, 2022, 09:37 AMThe majority of Americans are not entirely against abortion.  They don't want late-term abortions right up to delivery.  Most likely abortions during the first trimester will be allowed in most states.  This is a moral issue, not a legal issue or personal rights and it is up to voters in each state to impose abortion restrictions, not the federal government's business. There is no argument here, the Supreme Court has sent Roe v Wade back to the states to decide!
Again, abortions "right up to delivery" are not a thing. It doesn't happen.

As for the Supreme Court sending the issue back to the states after 50 years, keep in mind that the current court can reasonably be seen as illegitimate given the Republicans' bad faith during the two previous administrations.

Hobby

Currently, there are 6 states with no time limit for an abortion...
Hobby

bats

Quote from: Hobby on Aug 05, 2022, 08:44 AMCurrently, there are 6 states with no time limit for an abortion...
That doesn't mean doctors in those states are aborting fetuses anywhere near full term.

Bande

This is a states issue with the voters voting on this.
It is not in the Federal Governments power. This will not hold up.

Blkfyre

Quote from: Bande on Aug 05, 2022, 09:05 PMThis is a states issue with the voters voting on this.
It is not in the Federal Governments power. This will not hold up.

Wait. On the one hand you say it's a states rights issue. The voters of the state VOTED as was their right.

But you are saying it won't hold up? Why?  Shouldn't by your own words mean that the people of the state of Kansas decided it shouldn't be challenged?

HighStepper

I believe Bande is referring to the executive order, title of thread, not the vote in Kansas,
which I would think he is in support of those voters voting at the State level.
Too much sex is still not enough.