Study on the Impact of FOSTA-SESTA and the removal of Backpage on Sex Workers

Started by Ronin94108, Sep 18, 2022, 09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronin94108

Abstract: This short article presents in brief the findings of a community-based, sex worker-led survey that asked sex workers about their experiences since the closure of Backpage and adoption of FOSTA. It shows that the financial situation of the vast majority of research participants has deteriorated, as has their ability to access community and screen clients. It concludes that FOSTA is just the latest example of the US government using anti-trafficking policy and restrictions on technology to police already marginalised people.

https://hackinghustling.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Erased_Updated.pdf

HighStepper

Unfortunately policy makers and law makers do not have a good understanding about sex work. They see women as being demeaned or trafficked. Nor politically are they really interested in being educated on the nuances of sex work.

Too be sure there are abuses and situations of depravation that are heartbreaking. However, to implement the enforcement of laws to ALL, dilutes our efforts to eradicate what evil aspects of sex work there may be.

Our public policies should embrace sex work that is between consenting adults and carried out by mutual agreements by the parties involved.

If I choose to seek out a counselor, professional therapist for sustaining my emotional/mental health I am free to do so. If I choose to seek a professional for my emotional/sexual health I should be free to do so.   

Too much sex is still not enough.

CigarMan

Policy makers rarely have any understanding of what they regulate.  Get the government out of almost everything.