Senate votes to repeal Iraq war authorizations 20 years after U.S. invasion

Started by Blkfyre, Mar 29, 2023, 04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blkfyre

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iraq-war-aumf-senate-vote-repeal-authorization-for-use-of-military-force/

"The Senate on Wednesday voted to repeal the legal justifications used to attack Iraq in 1991 and 2003, endorsing a rare bipartisan effort by Congress to revoke the authority to wage war from the executive branch just days after the 20-year anniversary of the start of the Iraq War.

In a vote of 66 to 30, the Senate approved a resolution to repeal the 2002 authorization for the use of military force, or AUMF, that Congress adopted ahead of the March 2003 invasion by U.S. and allied troops, as well as the 1991 authorization for the first Gulf War.

Proponents of repealing the authorizations say doing so is necessary to prevent future presidents from abusing their power, while not hamstringing current counterterrorism efforts."

Gee, I wonder why they think they may need to revoke this ability from a possible future president?

HighStepper

The Constitution's Article I, Section 8 specifically lists as a power of Congress the power "to declare War," which unquestionably gives the legislature the power to initiate hostilities. The extent to which this clause limits the President's ability to use military force without Congress's affirmative approval remains highly contested. Link

Congress approved its last formal declaration of war during World War II. Link

Voting for war is politically unpopular. So, a lot of politicians in Congress would just as soon have the cover of Executive action.

Too much sex is still not enough.

Romanticlover

Lets look further back at history shall we:
In 1950 President Truman(D) sent US troops to Korea where 36.516 died.
In 1964 President Johnson(D) lied about the Tonkin Gulf incident and sent US troops to Vietnam where 58.220 died.

Were their actions justified?
Are we having fun yet?

bladegunner

Danno

guess they didn't want to become commies. pretty simple
think we have a similar situation right now.
Iraq has cost us 7 trillion and counting.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

Danno

at the start of the Iraq War, Rush Limpdick said that Saddamm smuggled the WMD out in pocket protectors. what dumb ass he was. notice nobody misses him.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome