So sick and tired of

Started by Fishhunter, Dec 24, 2023, 09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishhunter

All these fucking commercials about starving dogs starving kids and the world is in need of your money!!!
All these people trying to make you feel guilty about what you have this is a bunch of bull shit and I give Christmas gifts to kids every year about $100 worth.....
Has to make you wonder what about all the people and movie stars making millions and billions of dollars....lol
Ok I bitch and wine is over 👍
Life is what you make it

dogwalker

I change the channel or ignore them.  I give out some charity particularly when I travel to poor foreign countries but I can't save everyone.

Worse than those sympathy commercials for me are the ads that are on "constantly" with "earworm" songs that eventually get in your head and it's hard to stop thinking about the songs (e.g., 1-800-cars-for-kids for me).
Lately....Target, Kohl's.  I know they are desperate for business but enough is enough.

The super rich?  I know a few that got that way by being super stingy.  Others actually do give away a lot.

Fathernature69

The problem the charities on TV is most of those ads on TV are ran by marketing firms, and very little goes to the charity.

The charities sign up for the low percentage as the amount of money received is much higher than their own efforts to fundraise. 

Back in the day, I was fresh out of college and had just started my graduate program.  The SF earthquake had just occurred and the American Red Cross was fundraising hard. They used Barabara Bush and paid her a $1,000,000 to be there spokesperson. 

I remember i received a phone call, yep from Barbara (recorded) and in a moment of weakness I agreed to a donation. The next week the American Red Cross sent me a Spring Donation, two weeks later a February Donation, and three weeks later a Valentines Donation.  I remember I saved the solicitation for donation in a bin and within two months they started to spill out of the bin.

Somehow I managed to get on their email list and they sent me an email every day for a donation.

I quit donating to the American Red Cross, but it took me years to get off their mailing list.  Even today, if I go into my spam emails there will be an email asking for a donation.

I refuse to donate charity unless I know the how much is going to the Charity, and will they send me another solicitation for another donation.
Like Like x 1 View List

dogwalker

Too many scams.  Too much corruption. Too much misuse of funds.  Too many scandals.

The only charity I trust without question and know will use donations properly is Dollars for Dogwalker.