Surviving In a Political Forum (by High Stepper)

Started by Hobby, Mar 12, 2022, 04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thaikhan, Tuscano, Grommet, Longhairblueyes, Ronin94108, geewillygosh, DoctorTaco, Blkfyre, AverageJoe and 138 Guests are viewing this topic.

Hobby

Original Post by HighStepper

"Thin-skinned" people who are quick to take offense do not belong in political discussion forums. "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen." That being said, there are basic "rules of engagement." Justice Scalia said, "I attack ideas. I don't attack people. And some very good people have some very bad ideas.

There are no sacred opinions here.

We differ in opinion because we differ in how we interpret the facts.
People with opinions understand and accept that there can be different interpretations and thus different opinions. If a person is provided with new facts or additional facts, different understandings can occur, leading to a change in opinion.

When being questioned, If you don't have the ability or desire to state the why of your belief, to explain it, then that is on you. Don't blame the questioner unless the questioner is being an ass (internet troll). Then it may be best to just ignore them. You don't have to attend every argument you are invited too.

Remember a lot of us here see each at social events, have formed friendly associations.  Thomas Jefferson said, "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."
The posted thread: In astronomy I maintain the geocentric model of the Ptolemaic system. The Earth is the center of the universe and the Sun revolves around the Earth.

Bad Response: What kind of fukin idiot are you? That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

OK Response:  Surely sir, you jest.

Good Response:  I subscribe to the heliocentric model with Earth revolving around the Sun and here is why. Link

Good Response:  I believe in gegocentrism as you do. I have traveled all over the world. No matter where I am the Earth is stationary and the Sun travels in the sky from East to West.

Bad Response: Those heliocentric people are anti-Earth and follow fake news media that are always against Earth.
Modify message

HighStepper

For me, key takeaways: 

• Justice Scalia said, "I attack ideas. I don't attack people. And some very good people have some very bad ideas."

• You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

• Remember a lot of us here see each at social events, have formed friendly associations.  Thomas Jefferson said, "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."

Too much sex is still not enough.

dogwalker

Very good advice which unfortunately many forgot......or maybe just don't care about.