PETE ROSE

Started by Fathernature69, Oct 04, 2024, 08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fathernature69

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/pete-rose-sports-gambling-baseball-betting-1235120445/

I found this article intriguing, especially about MLB relationships with online gaming.

Pete should be in the Hall, he is the all times hit leader, whose recorded so far is untouchable. 

It's. a shame Pete is not in the Hall for what he did on the field.

RIP Pete.  It been a difficult life!

bats

I don't really care about the HoF anymore, but Pete committed the cardinal sin in sports. 

Although he eventually copped to it after years of denial, his personality was such that he always came off like he thought he got screwed.

He made it difficult for people to sympathize with him. 

thaikhan

The man got banned for betting on his team to win.

Hobby

Quote from: thaikhan on Oct 05, 2024, 01:27 AMThe man got banned for betting on his team to win.

Yep and it's permanent.  He knew what he did would get him banned.  I wonder who ratted him out?
Hobby

bats

Quote from: thaikhan on Oct 05, 2024, 01:27 AMThe man got banned for betting on his team to win.
Still a big no-no, for obvious reasons.

Danno

They are going put him in now that his lifetime ban is finished. Forget name, but that one commissioner was going to reinstate him, but he died.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

bats

Quote from: Danno on Oct 05, 2024, 06:01 PMThey are going put him in now that his lifetime ban is finished. Forget name, but that one commissioner was going to reinstate him, but he died.
I think that's right. Bart Giamatti was the commissioner when Pete was first banned. Giamatti died not long after, and I believe Pete was making progress with his successor, Fay Vincent, who also died after a short tenure.

EDIT: I was replying to danno's second point, about Fay Vincent.

On the first point, about letting him in now that he's gone, they're going to have to wait a while. Pete badly wanted to be let in while he was alive, so putting him in so soon after his death would make it look like they were waiting for him to die.

dogwalker

Screw him.  Talent or not he was not a good guy and deserves what he got.

Hobby

Quote from: Danno on Oct 05, 2024, 06:01 PMThey are going put him in now that his lifetime ban is finished. Forget name, but

that one commissioner was going to reinstate him, but he died.

His ban is permanent not lifetime.  Under the current rule Pete Rose isn't going into the Hall Of Fame anytime soon or ever...
Hobby

bats

Quote from: dogwalker on Oct 05, 2024, 06:43 PMScrew him.  Talent or not he was not a good guy and deserves what he got.
I kind of agree, but most of his contemporaries seem to think he should be in. They knew him and understood how great he was.

A notable exception is Johnny Bench, who never seems to want to talk about it.

dogwalker

see above....talent or not...blah blah....
It's like rich fucks that think they can do what they want just because they can.....
should that be allowed?  So....once again...fuck him.

HighStepper

Too much sex is still not enough.

WolfDragon

If they did not let Joe Jackson into the Hall of Fame.
Then, they certain not going to let ole Pete into Hall of Fame, especially after Pete admitted (years later) to betting on his team, while being on the Reds active roster.

Guess Hollywood will now  make the sequel to the Eight Men Out movie and
call it  The 9th Man Out.
Try to have a good time.

papipunani

I saw Pete Rose in person in the 90's in, of all places, the sports book at the MGM Grand.  He sat there like an ass surrounded by his posse of 6 or so white dudes.  He was looking down at his betting card (I assume) and ignoring his posse and everyone else.