"Who in the hell do they think they are?"

Started by bats, Oct 21, 2022, 02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bats

That's the question President Biden asked today about the hypocritical Republicans who've come out against Biden's program for student debt relief. He was speaking at Delaware State University, an HBCU.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1583550122411323392

Romanticlover

Who in the hell does Biden think he is giving out taxpayers money without the approval of Congress?

A district judge ruled on Thursday in favor of the plan(defendant) but Republicans appealed to the 8th Circuit Court afterwards:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/six-republican-led-states-appealing-dismissal-of-lawsuit-over-student-loan-relief
Are we having fun yet?

Bande

Quote from: bats on Oct 21, 2022, 02:30 PMThat's the question President Biden asked today about the hypocritical Republicans who've come out against Biden's program for student debt relief. He was speaking at Delaware State University, an HBCU.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1583550122411323392

They applied for the loans and knew what they were doing and should do the responsible thing and pay the loans back not putting it on us the taxpayers. It is not right.
If this is allowed then everyone that was responsible deserves to get refunded per say what they paid.
Personally I feel this burden should not be put on the taxpayers.
And this thought is across the board by all parties not just Republicans.
ChinaBiden the one that was going to bring the parties together has torn them apart with his antics..
I'm sure all ChinaBiden Lappies will back the Mobster up..
Hypocrites seem to be running RAMPANT in all parties. Not just 1...

Hobby

Students who accept loans are responsible for repaying their loans same as I have to repay my home loan. 

Blkfyre

Quote from: Bande on Oct 21, 2022, 04:22 PMThey applied for the loans and knew what they were doing and should do the responsible thing and pay the loans back not putting it on us the taxpayers. It is not right.
If this is allowed then everyone that was responsible deserves to get refunded per say what they paid.
Personally I feel this burden should not be put on the taxpayers.
And this thought is across the board by all parties not just Republicans.
ChinaBiden the one that was going to bring the parties together has torn them apart with his antics..
I'm sure all ChinaBiden Lappies will back the Mobster up..
Hypocrites seem to be running RAMPANT in all parties. Not just 1...

Uhm, quick correction. Biden didn't start the PPP loans, Trump did:

President Donald Trump
Established as part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act—which was signed by President Donald Trump on March 27, 2020—the PPP began to distribute forgivable loans to small businesses on April 3, just three weeks after a national emergency was declared in the United States.

So what you are saying is you have trouble with TRUMP making taxpayers pay for people's loans that were forgiven, right?

Romanticlover

Quote from: Blkfyre on Oct 21, 2022, 04:49 PMUhm, quick correction. Biden didn't start the PPP loans, Trump did:

President Donald Trump
Established as part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act—which was signed by President Donald Trump on March 27, 2020—the PPP began to distribute forgivable loans to small businesses on April 3, just three weeks after a national emergency was declared in the United States.

So what you are saying is you have trouble with TRUMP making taxpayers pay for people's loans that were forgiven, right?

According to President Biden the pandemic is over.
If the pandemic is over then the handouts need to stop.
Are we having fun yet?

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Oct 21, 2022, 05:04 PMAccording to President Biden the pandemic is over.

That's a different topic from what was said and I was responding to
Quote from: Romanticlover on Oct 21, 2022, 05:04 PMAccording to President Biden the pandemic is over.

I guess it's too bad that the courts, including the Supreme Court, so far aren't supporting those who think as you do:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/20/politics/student-loan-forgiveness-supreme-court-amy-coney-barrett/index.html

Danno

And when most of you old farts went college it was almost free. Because tax payers paid for it.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

Romanticlover

Quote from: Blkfyre on Oct 21, 2022, 05:29 PMThat's a different topic from what was said and I was responding to
I guess it's too bad that the courts, including the Supreme Court, so far aren't supporting those who think as you do:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/20/politics/student-loan-forgiveness-supreme-court-amy-coney-barrett/index.html

From your article:
'The states have filed an appeal, sending the case to the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals, where it is likely to face a panel of conservative judges.'

As I mentioned in my first post they appealed it to the 8th Circuit Court.
My question: why is ONE SCOTUS justice making a decision instead of all nine?

Are we having fun yet?

bats

Quote from: Romanticlover on Oct 21, 2022, 05:53 PMMy question: why is ONE SCOTUS justice making a decision instead of all nine?

From the article:

"Barrett acted alone because she has jurisdiction over the lower court that ruled on the case. She declined to refer the matter to the full court. Her denial appeared as a single sentence on the court's docket."

I realize this isn't a complete explanation of the reasons that a lone justice could have jurisdiction in a case. For that, you'd probably have to do just a bit more research.

bats

Quote from: Hobby on Oct 21, 2022, 04:24 PMStudents who accept loans are responsible for repaying their loans same as I have to repay my home loan. 
Of course they're responsible. That's why they need special relief. Without it, they can't get out from under that debt even through a bankruptcy proceeding. That's part of the ostensible rationale for the program.

dogwalker

Does not affect me so I do not care much.  I am a bit annoyed though when people know what they are getting into, fuck up, then get an unearned hand out.  (like all those home loans taken out just before the economic crisis of 2008 and then were bailed out later.)
Like Like x 1 View List

Romanticlover

I like to equate the Republicans as the parents and the Democrats as the spoiled children...

Democrats: "Give me free stuff because I deserve it! If you don't give it to me I'm going to cry that you are meanies!
If I get in trouble I don't have to take responsibility."

Republicans: "We can't afford all that stuff but we will give you one toy if you behave. If you get in trouble you have to face the consequences."
Are we having fun yet?

Romanticlover

Like Like x 1 View List
Are we having fun yet?

Danno

But we could afford Trumps $900 billion PPP loans that nobody paid back. And they don't even know who got what.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome