Greenies can't have it both ways

Started by Romanticlover, Mar 26, 2022, 09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romanticlover

California use to have two nuclear power plants(San Onofre & Rancho Seco), now we have none due to environmentalists. Voters approved a dam in Auburn back in the 1960's to produce electricity but environmentalists killed the project. We get most of our electricity from other states and Canada that use fossil fuels. Germany had planned to decommission all of their nuclear power plants but cancelled it now that they are embargoing Russian oil and gas.

Environmentalists want everyone to drive EV but how are we suppose to charge them when we don't have enough electricity now?
Are we having fun yet?

Hobby

You forgot one... Diablo Canyon is shutting down, license expires 2025 is what I understand. I don't like to see the landscape littered with miles and miles of windmills and solar panels. Environmentalist don't seem to care about that.

Zep

I'd be in favor of a few more dams to support electrical production and to save fresh water with global warming and the high temps we are getting.   All summer I listen to everyone talking about water conservation, yet millions of gallons of fresh water flows into the ocean each day. 

As a youth, I though nuclear power was a real answer to eliminate the need for fossil fuels but until we can ensure a disaster like happened in Japan can be averted, I'm against nuclear power plants, especially in California where earthquakes are common and population centers are nearby.   
We all got two lives. The second one begins when you realize you only have one.

Hobby

Problem in Japan was the reactor was located on the coast shore.  A freak Tsunami wiped it out spilling radio active material into the ocean... I know why they built there, they needed a heatsink to cool the reactor.  Had they build the reactor site on higher ground and further inland there probably would have been no problem.

Danno

Rancho Seco was broke down more than it ran. Had many friends that worked there. The stories they told.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

Romanticlover

Yeah I could see that for Rancho Seco, it was an old design.

Fukushima was another old reactor and it had design flaws, once the power shutoff the coolant pumps stopped working and the core kept heating up. When the power came back online someone had to manually turn the coolant pumps back on...which they didn't and it went "boom". All modern nuclear power plants have a backup generator to keep coolant pumps operating in case of a power outage, they also have software that automatically keeps the core temperature safe.
Are we having fun yet?