Elon Musk Fought Search Warrant for Donald Trump's Twitter

Started by Blkfyre, Aug 29, 2023, 11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blkfyre

Jack Smith served Meta with a warrant for Donald Trump's Twitter records. The warrant specifically said that they were not to notify Trump of the warrant because they didn't want to take a chance Trump would delete data/intimidate possible witnesses. After the deadline to do so, Twitter said they would not turn the records over until they could notify Trump.

The government took them to court, in court Twitter said they didn't have legal standing to do so, but said they had a First Amendment right to do so. Unfortunately for Twitter, the case ended up in the court of the Judge who issued the order who asked them had they EVER notified the subject of a search warrant before Trump, to which Twitter said that in 17 years they NEVER had done that.

The judge straight up asked was the complaint brought because Musk wanted to cozy up with Trump, and was to make Trump feel like he was particularly welcomed back to Twitter. Twitter's lawyer denied both questions.

Twitter said that NARA had copies and the government should just go to them! The government said Nara didn't have everything, that is NOT how search warrants work, Twitter doesn't get to say look someplace else, and that NARA would HAVE to notify Trump due to their own rules.

Twitter tried to come back with "Hey! This is the first time someone has done this to a President! The judge was unimpressed and pointed out that the Muller investigation got private communications including Trump's. (She was the supervising judge in that). So it was not the first time it had happened.

The judge ruled against Twitter, ruled them in contempt, and ordered $350,000 in fines.

Romanticlover

This ruling happened back in March and Musk lost his appeal:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/08/09/twitter-fine-jan-6-trump/

BTW: Meta is Facebook and Musk makes $350,000 while he eats lunch.
Are we having fun yet?

HighStepper

Quote from: Romanticlover on Aug 29, 2023, 12:09 PM... Musk makes $350,000 while he eats lunch.

...finding Twitter in contempt Feb. 7 for failing to comply with the search warrant. She gave Twitter until 5 p.m. to produce the records, with sanctions of $50,000 per day, to double every day that Twitter did not comply. Twitter produced the records three days later.

Remember the old joke If you took a single penny and doubled it everyday, by day 30, you would have $5,368,709.12

I'm not going to do the math on $50,000. However, it would be many billions of dollars.
Too much sex is still not enough.

bats

Quote from: HighStepper on Aug 29, 2023, 02:55 PMI'm not going to do the math on $50,000. However, it would be many billions of dollars. 
It comes out to $26.8 billion. Not even Elon could handle that progression for more than a few days. lol

Danno

one of my favs
1 Million seconds = 12 Days. 1 Billion seconds = 32 Years.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome