McConnell appears to freeze while speaking with reporters in Kentucky

Started by Blkfyre, Aug 30, 2023, 05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighStepper

Quote from: Romanticlover on Sep 01, 2023, 01:58 PMWe've discussed this in other threads, the only way to enact term limits and age limits is for Congress to pass a bill and the President to sign it...which isn't likely. An amendment enacting term limits and age limits is even less likely. I'm surprised they passed the 22nd amendment, it was brought on because FDR was President for four terms.
I agree with your assessment. There may be widespread sentiment, but not likely to happen.
Too much sex is still not enough.

dogwalker

Conflict of interest....LOL   Old people deciding if old people should have term and age limits.

zoezane

Mitch McConnell is a toasted zombie.  He feel down, look what he did to himself, never took responsiblity for the One & Only Constitution.  Reminds of my Dad who never let go of his control even after death.  Hello Zombie Traitor Mitch.  I don't feel sorry for YOU one bit after the shit you did to the US.

Karmas A bitch 4 Nazi Mitch.  His zombie makes him weak.  He humiliated himself.  HA HA HA

His concussion is showing all his limits.  Unless he gets to a energy facilitator he's conditon will get worse. 
I'm A Dirty Girl Online
I Cuz Like A Sailor

HighStepper

As previously discussed, in the time of the Founding Fathers, the land owners and business men volunteered to take time from their business pursuits, to give service to the country. Being a member of Congress was not meant to be a lifelong endeavor. https://fantasysaloon.com/index.php?msg=12076

Issues that term limits alone will not address, are the continuation of the same staff and lobbyist.

bats

Quote from: HighStepper on Sep 02, 2023, 12:42 PMIssues that term limits alone will not address, are the continuation of the same staff and lobbyist.
One reason for having elected representatives is to entrust a few dedicated people to understand complex issues that the masses don't have time for. Representatives, in turn, hire expert staffers who can further dedicate their lives to such complex problems.

One problem with term limits is that representatives who've gained expertise are forced out in favor of representatives who must familiarize themselves with the issues anew. Veteran staffers might be asked to stay on because they can help the newbie reps.

Term limits sound good in theory but bring many problems in practice.

California has had term limits for its state legislators for over 30 years. In all that time, I don't think I've once heard or read anyone point to term limits and say, "Man, weren't we smart for enacting term limits!"

Romanticlover

California limits the governor to 2 terms and the legislature to 12 years. 12 years would work in Congress, 6 terms in the House or 2 terms in the Senate.
Are we having fun yet?

HighStepper

Quote from: bats on Sep 02, 2023, 03:11 PMCalifornia has had term limits for its state legislators for over 30 years. In all that time, I don't think I've once heard or read anyone point to term limits and say, "Man, weren't we smart for enacting term limits!"

Interesting article on term limits:  How Have Term Limits Affected the California Legislature?

I remember the election when the voters voted in term limits. In the same election most of the incumbents were re-voted back in.

HighStepper

Quote from: Romanticlover on Sep 02, 2023, 06:48 PMCalifornia limits the governor to 2 terms and the legislature to 12 years. 12 years would work in Congress, 6 terms in the House or 2 terms in the Senate.
I came up with the same numbers Link
Of course some will run for term in the other chamber of Congress when they term out in one. So, some could manage to hang on for 24 years.