Will Biden Reopen Flood Gates ?

Started by Hobby, Apr 01, 2022, 08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobby

US plans to end Covid-era order blocking asylum seekers at Mexico border

The United States is planning to end a Covid-era order blocking asylum seekers and other migrants at the US-Mexico border by 23 May, a US official told Reuters.

The decision has not yet been finalized, the official said.

Joe Biden was asked at the White House whether he would drop the rule, known as Title 42, which prompted summary expulsions of people back across the border into Mexico with no provision to begin the legal process of seeking protection or relief in the US, but he demurred.

"We'll have a decision on that soon," the US president said.

The Title 42 law, enacted under Donald Trump and kept in place by the Biden administration, has led to hundreds of thousands being denied their right to asylum since the start of the pandemic.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/30/title-42-us-mexico-border-asylum-seekers-plans-end

We're expecting a big increase in migrants at the US-Mexico border. But this time is different. Here's why

(CNN)More migrants are coming to the US-Mexico border, and officials say they expect the number to grow.

This is something we've seen many times before. But some key details are different this time around.
Here's a look at what's changing, why it's happening now and why it matters.
There's a huge backlog of migrants waiting to cross

For two years, a pandemic public health order has been in place that stopped many migrants from crossing the border and seeking asylum in the United States. The policy is known as Title 42 for the US code invoked in its implementation, and its days may be numbered.
Under that policy, authorities turned away migrants more than 1.7 million times, expelling them into Mexico or back to their home countries, according to Customs and Border Protection statistics.
Now there's a big bottleneck of people waiting to cross. And soon, the rule that stood in their way is likely to be lifted.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/31/politics/border-title-42-whats-next-cec/index.html

Here they come!  No doubt this summer the border will become a hotbed issue for Democrats. The choice is clear! Want more illegals coming into the US illegally vote Democrat.  Want people to come to the US legally through the immigration process vote Republican.

Zep

I want the US to increase legal immigration levels!  Our economy is booming! unemployment at an all time low!  We need more workers.  So many places have help wanted signs posted.  We need farm labor, truckers, dock workers, construction workers.   Time to start growing America!   Get them in here, get them legal status, get them working and paying taxes! 
We all got two lives. The second one begins when you realize you only have one.

Blkfyre

I'm confused. We are constantly being told by republicans that the pandemic is over. That Covid is not something that needs to impact our lives anymore. That we need to get back to what we had before this all started.

Title 42 is based on Covid, you provided us that info "For two years, a pandemic public health order..."

By the way, despite the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) claim that this order was necessary to protect the United States from a public health perspective, reporting has shown that the origin of this policy came from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Trump White House. Public reporting indicates that when Title 42 was originally created, CDC scientists expressed opposition to this invocation of Title 42, arguing that there was no public health rationale to support it. Ever since then, public health experts outside the CDC have continued to agree, arguing that while international borders remain largely open to other travelers, there is no need to turn away refugees and expel them to their home countries or Mexico. Since taking office, the Biden administration has continued to insist that Title 42 is necessary for public health purposes, despite the widespread availability of rapid tests and vaccination for COVID-19.

Federal courts have also rejected the legal basis for the use of Title 42 to expel individuals who have entered the United States. Multiple federal judges have ruled that the law does not permit expulsions, and instead only gives the government the authority to turn away people who have not yet entered the United States or impose quarantine for those already inside the United States. Decisions blocking the use of Title 42 against unaccompanied children as well as migrants who arrive in family groups are currently on appeal at the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals.

https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/guide-title-42-expulsions-border

Does it matter that the CDC and the judicial branch of the government say that the law as applied isn't needed/is illegal?

Soooo, which is it:

All Covid laws need to be struck down because we no longer need them as most republicans think?

Or we need to keep SOME Covid laws because we want to take advantage of them (you know, what republicans are complaining that the governor of California is doing and they say is immoral, illegal, and should be handled by the legislature (you know, like the part of the government that put them in place now removing them)?

Hobby

"That Covid is not something that needs to impact our lives anymore. That we need to get back to what we had before this all started."

You are right, Covid is going away and should not impact or lives anymore.... The huge number of illegals that have been waiting to cross the border will certainly impact our lives, just wait and see.

Hobby

Just how would democrats feel if they got a notice in the mail that 20% of their income will be taken to support illegals coming into the US?  They don't have to take 20% it is already happening. People crossing into the US are not the brightest, the best or the successful business people.  They are mostly poor peasants looking for a better life.  Well they certainly hit the jackpot here with all the free handouts.  Where does the money that provides for these free hand out come from... from tax payers, this money should be used to take care of our own first.

Blkfyre

Quote from: Hobby on Apr 01, 2022, 09:49 AMJust how would democrats feel if they got a notice in the mail that 20% of their income will be taken to support illegals coming into the US?  They don't have to take 20% it is already happening. People crossing into the US are not the brightest, the best or the successful business people.  They are mostly poor peasants looking for a better life.  Well they certainly hit the jackpot here with all the free handouts.  Where does the money that provides for these free hand out come from... from tax payers, this money should be used to take care of our own first.

Uhm, my taxes went to bailout banks and the 1% in other businesses in the past. Free handouts to them from my taxes, why is this any different?

Trump gave tax breaks to the wealthy with the usual republican line it would trickle down. And yet, nope it did not.

Weren't those tax breaks free handouts? Wasn't the onus of the budget shifted from those who had it to those of us who didn't? Wasn't that in essence free money to the rich, money they didn't have to pay and could keep in their pocket so that they could pick mine and tell me I'm not working hard enough to be where they are?
Disagree Disagree x 1 View List

HighStepper

Immigration has not been the hot button issue like before. Border Security & Immigration 7% interest
However, you have a point about potential "flood gates" which can drive it to higher levels of concerns.
This could quickly bring immigration policy to the forefront.   

Real Time with Bill Maher: Ann Coulter on Immigration (HBO).
Controversy sells books. In addition to the standard immigration tropes, she makes the point that a lot is cheap labor that benefits big industry.
While the clip is 7 years old, the sentiments are still current for many people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW0GowO_MaM

Too much sex is still not enough.

Zep

It is very important that those who benefit from a right wing agenda (not the middle class) find a way to get a chunk of the middle class to vote Republican.  The easiest way is to identify a group of people. (a religion, a race, a social minority) and convince the middle class that "those people" are taking your tax dollars, "they" are getting benefits over you in the middle class, the hard working middle class is getting screwed and you must vote Republican to protect yourselves from this menace.   

While many of the middle class buy into this falsehood that poor hardworking immigrants are stealing their money,  the wealthiest in American laugh all the way to the bank as wealth consolidation continues to move upward to the top 5%.   

The wealthiest buy jets and spaceships with their tax free dollars, the immigrants buy potatoes. Yet the middle class republicans refuse to look above themselves, at their masters, they only look down at those miserable immigrants... 

Hobby

I swear some folks have their heads buried deep in the sand. It is a wonder how they can breathe!  Left main street media is not reporting on what is happening on our southern border. By this summer the media won't be able to hide the truth to protect Biden's border fiasco. Dominating 3issues for Americans I predict I could be wrong will be Inflation, Gas Prices, Our Border and Illegals!

Bande

Lots of Countries require one to show they can support themselves while seeking residency, to not become a Burden on per say Country.
We should not have to pay for anyone seeking residency in the U.S.A.
We should not be obligated to support these people.
Lots are able to support themselves and actually start businesses.

And far as the Border goes, People have been coming across the borders more than ever this last year. Both legally and illegally. I and others have seen this 1st hand. Lines have been crazy walking across the border.

Blkfyre

Quote from: Bande on Apr 01, 2022, 06:18 PMLots of Countries require one to show they can support themselves while seeking residency, to not become a Burden on per say Country.
We should not have to pay for anyone seeking residency in the U.S.A.
We should not be obligated to support these people.
Lots are able to support themselves and actually start businesses.

And far as the Border goes, People have been coming across the borders more than ever this last year. Both legally and illegally. I and others have seen this 1st hand. Lines have been crazy walking across the border.

Except, you know, that's not factual: https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/rising-border-encounters-in-2021

"Title 42 Caused A Massive Increase In Repeat Border Crossings, Inflating Apprehension Numbers And Endangering Migrants

Throughout his first year in office, President Biden maintained the single largest border program in use by his predecessor: Title 42. Over the course of 2021, Border Patrol agents carried out 1,111,609 expulsions under Title 42, including over 150,000 parents and children traveling as a family. The broad use of Title 42 has not only had a negative effect on asylum seekers, it also paradoxically served to increase the number of border crossings.

Title 42 has increased border crossings in large part by creating a situation where many people expelled back to Mexico make at least one additional attempt to cross the border.

Under Title 42, the overwhelming majority of single adults are rapidly processed at the border and sent right back to Mexico without a deportation order. This arrangement has incentivized repeated attempted crossings for multiple reasons"

The TLDR on that? Trump's policy made numbers inflate as people were sent back and then tried to get back across again singly rather than in family groups.

What the republican smear tactics do wrong is they look at that number up there, "1,111,609 expulsions" and say "OH MY GOD! MORE ILLEGALS ARE COMING ACROSS SINCE BIDEN!!!" without actually thinking what that number represents. That is not the number of people who made it across, that's the number that were caught and turned back.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

As you can see above, Biden turned back almost a million more people than Trump did in his last year in office.

So again, claims that more illegals are crossing under Biden than under Trump are just that, claims, with no substance...

Hobby

Trump turned down less because he did not let them in our country in the first place. Your slide of hand moronic graph is meaningless! Trump had a agreement with Mexico to hold them there....  Fact is Biden let in almost twice as many as Trump in just one year in office.  Crimes went way up after Trump left office.

Zep

Wait.. I thought trump had an agreement with Mexico that they would build this big beautiful wall?  I guess we all know what trump's agreements are worth...

Come on, we need farm labor, manual labor.  Time to increase immigration.  Get them all paying taxes..

Bande

You go she
Quote from: Blkfyre on Apr 01, 2022, 06:55 PMExcept, you know, that's not factual: https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/rising-border-encounters-in-2021

"Title 42 Caused A Massive Increase In Repeat Border Crossings, Inflating Apprehension Numbers And Endangering Migrants

Throughout his first year in office, President Biden maintained the single largest border program in use by his predecessor: Title 42. Over the course of 2021, Border Patrol agents carried out 1,111,609 expulsions under Title 42, including over 150,000 parents and children traveling as a family. The broad use of Title 42 has not only had a negative effect on asylum seekers, it also paradoxically served to increase the number of border crossings.

Title 42 has increased border crossings in large part by creating a situation where many people expelled back to Mexico make at least one additional attempt to cross the border.

Under Title 42, the overwhelming majority of single adults are rapidly processed at the border and sent right back to Mexico without a deportation order. This arrangement has incentivized repeated attempted crossings for multiple reasons"

The TLDR on that? Trump's policy made numbers inflate as people were sent back and then tried to get back across again singly rather than in family groups.

What the republican smear tactics do wrong is they look at that number up there, "1,111,609 expulsions" and say "OH MY GOD! MORE ILLEGALS ARE COMING ACROSS SINCE BIDEN!!!" without actually thinking what that number represents. That is not the number of people who made it across, that's the number that were caught and turned back.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

As you can see above, Biden turned back almost a million more people than Trump did in his last year in office.

So again, claims that more illegals are crossing under Biden than under Trump are just that, claims, with no substance...

More illegals are crossing, you must be sleeping, and believe the politically controlled numbers instead of facts.
I will tell you once again I have witnessed this at the border. When have you been to the border? Thats what I thought spreading propaganda you are.
We have had More border crossings illegal & legal...
Agree +1 Agree +1 x 1 View List

Blkfyre

Quote from: Bande on Apr 01, 2022, 08:10 PMYou go she
More illegals are crossing, you must be sleeping, and believe the politically controlled numbers instead of facts.
I will tell you once again I have witnessed this at the border. When have you been to the border? Thats what I thought spreading propaganda you are.
We have had More border crossings illegal & legal...

Ok so I shared my data, where's yours?