Why is no one talking about the Fani Willis scandal?

Started by bats, Jan 11, 2024, 10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bats

On Monday one of Trump's co-defendant's filed a motion in Fulton County alleging serious conflicts of interest on the part of prosecutor Fani Willis and her appointed special prosecutor. I mean, this stuff has the potential to derail the whole case against Trump in Georgia. Yet no one seems to be talking about it.

Are we so overloaded with information that we don't even notice when something truly serious comes to light?

dogwalker

I knew about it.  I have doubts Trump would win so didn't think it was worth any discussion.
I have more "truly serious" things to worry about than that....does not affect me.....lmao.

HighStepper

Trump co-defendant alleges Georgia DA and prosecutor in relationship but offers no proof.
In a court filing seeking to have charges against him dismissed, an attorney for Michael Roman – an ex-staffer of the former president – has accused Willis of intentionally failing to disclose a relationship with the prosecutor, Nathan Wade, and personally benefiting from his appointment to the case.

Willis, the district attorney for Fulton county in Georgia, has not responded to the claims, with a spokesperson telling media outlets she will do so through court filings.
Link

I get that the gist of the allegation is that one of the prosecutors she brought on, she is having a romantic relationship. She benefits from his spending money on their vacations together.

I think the biggest issue for Fani Willis is a failure to disclose, assuming that there actually is a romantic relationship. The expectation is that the prosecutor and the DA are of like interest in aggressively prosecuting the case against Trump and co-defendants. So, there is no real conflict of interest there.
Too much sex is still not enough.

bats

Quote from: HighStepper on Jan 11, 2024, 03:30 PMI think the biggest issue for Fani Willis is a failure to disclose, assuming that there actually is a romantic relationship. The expectation is that the prosecutor and the DA are of like interest in aggressively prosecuting the case against Trump and co-defendants. So, there is no real conflict of interest there.

The conflict of interest, if the allegations are true, is financial. The special prosecutor is being paid with taxpayer funds. If he and the DA are romantically involved--and their relationship is alleged to have begun prior to his appointment as special prosecutor--his remuneration for this work is at the very least terrible optics.

So, if it's true, it's a mess even if no rules have technically been broken.

dogwalker

I'm more than tired of these issues.
Should I cling to the idea that it's good to be virtuous
or just give up and assume everyone could be (or is) corrupt
because "they are human" (a lame excuse to me)?

HighStepper

Quote from: bats on Jan 11, 2024, 05:00 PMThe conflict of interest, if the allegations are true, is financial. The special prosecutor is being paid with taxpayer funds. If he and the DA are romantically involved--and their relationship is alleged to have begun prior to his appointment as special prosecutor--his remuneration for this work is at the very least terrible optics.

So, if it's true, it's a mess even if no rules have technically been broken.
My perspective for no conflict of interest was how it would affect a defendant in the case. The facts of the case are the facts. The jury will determine guilt or not guilty.

As to rule/policy violations, I would guess that there might be. Supervisor sleeping with a subordinate is typically against policy. Was a more qualified, equally qualified, person not considered for the position due to a preexisting romantic relationship? Is the compensation being paid more than the prevailing amount? 

And yes, the optics never looks good. Now if she was fucking the judge then there would definitely be a conflict of interest that the defense could raise.
Too much sex is still not enough.

Romanticlover

Why isn't anyone talking about the secretary of defense getting prostate surgery but Biden didn't know he was AWOL?
Who is running the White House...Kamala...Pete Buttplug..."Dr" Jill...the dog that kept biting Secret Service agents?
Are we having fun yet?

dogwalker

Quote from: Romanticlover on Jan 18, 2024, 03:10 PMWhy isn't anyone talking about the secretary of defense getting prostate surgery but Biden didn't know he was AWOL?
Who is running the White House...Kamala...Pete Buttplug..."Dr" Jill...the dog that kept biting Secret Service agents?

Umm does not affect me.  Their issue.