California wants to ban speeding

Started by Romanticlover, Jan 25, 2024, 03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romanticlover

A bill introduced by the no common sense idiot Scott Wiener(D) wants all new cars to go no faster than 10mph over the speed limit. The bill hasn't gotten to committee yet but if Newsom has any chance of becoming President he needs to veto this bill.

https://abc7news.com/scott-wiener-speed-governors-pedestrian-safety-california-bills-streets-safer/14356386/

You people keep voting for these idiot Democrats.
Like Like x 1 View List
Are we having fun yet?

HighStepper

That is not law yet. However, there is a new parking law on the books.

The law says you can't park within 20 feet of a crosswalk, whether it's marked or not. For now parking control officers will issue warnings. Beginning in 2025, the warnings will stop. Instead citations will be given out. The fine has yet to be determined.

By keeping away from the crosswalk, you're allowing vehicles that are driving to get a better view of pedestrian that might be starting to cross the crosswalk.

Some other states have had this law on the books for years .
Link
Too much sex is still not enough.

dogwalker

I say ban all vehicles above 4 feet high.  That's why I can't see other vehicles.

bats

Quote from: Romanticlover on Jan 25, 2024, 03:12 PMA bill introduced by the no common sense idiot Scott Wiener(D) wants all new cars to go no faster than 10mph over the speed limit. The bill hasn't gotten to committee yet but if Newsom has any chance of becoming President he needs to veto this bill.

https://abc7news.com/scott-wiener-speed-governors-pedestrian-safety-california-bills-streets-safer/14356386/

You people keep voting for these idiot Democrats.
There won't be a need for Newsom to veto the bill because it has no chance of becoming law.

Also, "we" didn't vote for Wiener. People in SF and its immediate vicinity did.

citylyts

And he wants trucks to have side guards to keep people from being sucked under the trucks in a crash.

dogwalker

Once all cars are self driving.....

Romanticlover

This state is a joke to the rest of the nation, all the news outlets were making fun of this proposed law.

The speed limiter would do very little to prevent fatalities, the side guards on trailers make a little more sense. It's like that federal law that requires backup cameras in all new vehicles when only 225 people are killed every year.
Are we having fun yet?

dogwalker

Drunk driving is the cause of half of driving fatalities in the US.

Romanticlover

If they really wanted to save lives they would mandate a breathalyzer be installed.
Also tell people not to be looking at their phones while driving and walking, here in Sac a bunch of pedestrians are killed every year because they weren't paying attention.
Are we having fun yet?

HighStepper

Quote from: Romanticlover on Jan 26, 2024, 04:42 AM... It's like that federal law that requires backup cameras in all new vehicles when only 225 people are killed every year.
The goal of making backup cameras mandatory is to save the lives of children and seniors in particular. Some have criticized the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) for not acting sooner, but now that there are backup cameras required by law, there should be far fewer fatal accidents related to reversing a vehicle. Link

I suppose you can say that "only" 225 people are killed every year is not a significant number. However, it is significant to the pedestrian killed and very traumatic to the driver that killed them. To me a real benefit is the avoidance of property damage.

Back up cameras are nice. I have aftermarket ones installed on my truck and daughter's car. They are very helpful.

I guess the objection comes from government mandating things. I remember the outcry about seat belts/lap belts. Now we just take it for granted. Anti-lock brake systems being mandated on cars made after 2012 are things we now take for granted.
Too much sex is still not enough.

Romanticlover

Everything should be in perspective HS.
225 deaths out of a nation of 332 million is so miniscule that it hardly warrants mandating a backup camera.
More children drown in the US than are run over by someone backing up, should we ban swimming pools?
A bunch of children die every year because idiot parents forget their kid is in the car.
I've been driving for 40 years and haven't run over anyone yet because I'm a careful driver.

Every death is sad but we shouldn't make laws for those who don't have common sense.
Are we having fun yet?

bats

Quote from: Romanticlover on Jan 26, 2024, 11:29 AMIf they really wanted to save lives they would mandate a breathalyzer be installed.
It's coming. Probably. A new federal law (part of the 2021 Bipartisan Infrastructure Act) could require such devices to be installed on all new cars sold in the U.S. by 2026. It doesn't sound like they'll make that deadline, but by the end of this year, the NHTSA is supposed to publish rules explaining how the devices are to work.

https://apnews.com/article/alcohol-breath-test-devices-required-new-vehicles-2a2e2862691ecea396df3ab66d4440c6

Danno

Back up cameras are great. my new car has one that you can view while going forward.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

Romanticlover

I guess I will keep my old non-nanny state vehicles until the wheels fall off, insurance and registration on my old cars is cheaper than buying new ones.
Are we having fun yet?

Romanticlover

Quote from: bats on Jan 26, 2024, 12:36 PMIt's coming. Probably. A new federal law (part of the 2021 Bipartisan Infrastructure Act) could require such devices to be installed on all new cars sold in the U.S. by 2026. It doesn't sound like they'll make that deadline, but by the end of this year, the NHTSA is supposed to publish rules explaining how the devices are to work.

https://apnews.com/article/alcohol-breath-test-devices-required-new-vehicles-2a2e2862691ecea396df3ab66d4440c6

"It's going to keep drunk drivers off the road and we're going to keep people from dying because somebody's drunk," U.S. Rep. Debbie Dingell, a Michigan Democrat who pushed for the regulation. "This is going to be simple technology."

Of course it's a Democrat pushing for it, God forbid people have common sense and take responsibility.
Are we having fun yet?