Sacramento Mass Shooting April 3, 2022

Started by HighStepper, Apr 03, 2022, 11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighStepper

Sacramento Mass Shooting: Latest on the investigation | Sunday 6:30 p.m. update

Too much sex is still not enough.

bats

I couldn't quite watch the whole thing. We'll learn a lot more as the cops go through the video from various sources.

But what strikes me is that all the "official" reactions seem to be about how we've got to do something to stop gun violence. That would be great, but how do we stop random assholes who want to do this kind of thing?

It seems to me that America's gun problem is essentially irreversible at this point. There are WAY too many guns in circulation already. Pretty much anyone who wants them can get them one way or another.

The Founders couldn't possibly have imagined this, but if they could have they would not have approved.

dogwalker

Too many people now have no self control, are immature, get offended by the tiniest things, have to prove how macho they are, and are very poor at communicating with each other to resolve a conflict.  That is ultimately what leads to these mass shootings. If money or women are involved that just amplifies it. Guns just enable revenge at perceived insults more effectively. 
Agree +1 Agree +1 x 1 View List

Romanticlover

SacPD arrested one person so far, a felon in possession of an illegal firearm:

https://www.kcra.com/article/sacramento-shooting-arrest-downtown-k-street-police/39629724#

You can make all the gun laws you want but violent criminals don't follow the law. KCRA3 had an interview with the former SacPD chief where he made the previous statement.
Are we having fun yet?

Hobby

All gun regulations can do is to put up obstacles for obtaining a firearm can not stop violence. Violence is a side effect of freedom. I would not give up any of my freedoms for any reason.  Fire arms are designed to be lethal compact easy to carry weapons. Banning or confiscating our firearms will only reduce these types of gun related crime but will cause other crimes to soar. I would imagine using a weapon against other citizens dates back 1000s of years before the gun was ever invited. Rock throwing... sword fights etc. 

Blkfyre

Quote from: Hobby on Apr 04, 2022, 12:40 PMAll gun regulations can do is to put up obstacles for obtaining a firearm can not stop violence. Violence is a side effect of freedom. I would not give up any of my freedoms for any reason.  Fire arms are designed to be lethal compact easy to carry weapons. Banning or confiscating our firearms will only reduce these types of gun related crime but will cause other crimes to soar. I would imagine using a weapon against other citizens dates back 1000s of years before the gun was ever invited. Rock throwing... sword fights etc. 

Takes quite a bit for a rock or knife/sword to kill 6 people and injure 12 others from just a couple of individuals. This happened in seconds. You don't tend to have mass stabbings...

Romanticlover

Well it turns out it was two gangs shooting it out but innocent people got killed in the process. Democrats are the ones to blame for this because the suspects who were arrested have lengthy rap sheets, they were released from prison early due to the pandemic.

https://www.kcra.com/article/at-least-5-people-fired-guns-in-downtown-sacramento-shooting-during-gang-violence-police-say/39653597
Are we having fun yet?

HighStepper

Quote from: Romanticlover on Apr 06, 2022, 05:41 PM...Democrats are the ones to blame for this because the suspects who were arrested have lengthy rap sheets, they were released from prison early due to the pandemic.
https://www.kcra.com/article/at-least-5-people-fired-guns-in-downtown-sacramento-shooting-during-gang-violence-police-say/39653597

You may be right about some prisoners getting release early for Covid, but it does not seem to apply to these prisoners.

Reading the article you linked.
The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation claim Smiley's February release was not an early release, saying he was awarded pre- and post-sentencing credits.

He might have been released sooner, but a Parole Board rejected his bid for early release in May after prosecutors said the 2017 felony assault along with convictions for possessing an assault weapon and thefts posed "a significant, unreasonable risk of safety to the community." In a letter to the Board of Parole Hearings from the DA's Office on April 29, 2021 it says, "If he is released early, he will continue to break the law."

Dawson was to serve a six-year sentence for possession of a controlled substance and possession of a firearm by a felon, but he received credits during his incarceration, allowing him to be released to Sacramento County probation in August 2020.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

...interviewed in 2021, is one of more than 9,000 non-violent inmates released from federal prison due to COVID-19 concerns as part of the CARES Act. Link

Romanticlover

"a significant, unreasonable risk of safety to the community."
"If he is released early, he will continue to break the law."

The parole board and DA was right, we have to keep violent criminals locked up.

Are we having fun yet?

HighStepper

Quote from: Romanticlover on Apr 06, 2022, 07:10 PM"a significant, unreasonable risk of safety to the community."

That is why they did NOT release him early.

Romanticlover

This is from 5/1/21:

'Democrats in the state, however, have called for the state to release more convicted criminals and to close the depreciated detention facilities.'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/california-releasing-63-000-violent-felons-back-onto-the-streets-in-effort-to-create-safer-prisons/ar-BB1ggg77

The crime wave nationwide in the past two years falls squarely on Democrats failed policies.
Are we having fun yet?

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Apr 06, 2022, 07:10 PM"a significant, unreasonable risk of safety to the community."

So question...Do you think there shouldn't be parole boards? That every prisoner should serve every second of their sentence? That everytime a prisoner is released early, even if the board is made up of non-democrats that caused crime?

Romanticlover

Quote from: Blkfyre on Apr 07, 2022, 12:57 AMSo question...Do you think there shouldn't be parole boards? That every prisoner should serve every second of their sentence? That everytime a prisoner is released early, even if the board is made up of non-democrats that caused crime?

I think there should be a parole board but it should only be used to see if the inmate has been rehabilitated and can be released safely back into society. If someone is sentenced to 10 years by a judge then they should serve 10 years, no time off for good behavior.
We can't allow violent criminals to roam free in society but I also believe in rehabilitation, while inmates serve their time there should be mandatory training and counseling.
Are we having fun yet?

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Apr 07, 2022, 10:26 AMI think there should be a parole board but it should only be used to see if the inmate has been rehabilitated and can be released safely back into society. If someone is sentenced to 10 years by a judge then they should serve 10 years, no time off for good behavior.
We can't allow violent criminals to roam free in society but I also believe in rehabilitation, while inmates serve their time there should be mandatory training and counseling.

Except as HS pointed out, your argument about Democrats releasing him early due to covid was refuted by the very article you linked. And how do you judge rehabilitation? What about their behavior in jail tells you that they have been rehabilitated and can be released? How do you know that they didn't apply that to this case?

Romanticlover

I gave you my opinion, so what's your answer to violent criminals?
Are we having fun yet?