What's the Deal with Republicans and Abortion?

Started by bats, Apr 16, 2022, 01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bats

Republicans always say they want limited government.

But imagine you're a woman, and you find yourself pregnant. It happens ALL THE TIME.

Now, imagine further that, for whatever reasons, your pregnancy, if allowed to go to term, would present all kinds of personal problems for you, and you've decided it would be best to terminate it.

Now imagine that you're in Kentucky, or Oklahoma, or Texas, or one of the other states whose legislators wish to make it unlawful for you to terminate YOUR pregnancy.

So you've got a personal medical issue going on, and the GOVERNMENT is about to tell you that the decision is not yours, but is instead theirs.

How is this even remotely okay?

HighStepper

Abortion didn't use to be a Republican issue.

In the late 1970s, fundamentalist Christians became outraged at the decision to withdraw tax-exempt status from segregated church schools. Supreme Court decisions banning school prayer and legalizing abortion fed the "attack" on the church narrative.

Radio and television preachers started to promote the "Moral Majority" focusing on abortion to bring in the Catholics.

Although there are pro-choice Republicans, the religious right has a firm hold on the Republican party. One of the reasons Trump changed his views on abortion when he decided to run for the Presidency. 

Too much sex is still not enough.

kidinacandystore

Abortion is simply just wrong, at any level.  People can be outraged at this statement all they want, but it doesn't make it any less true.  Happy Easter, btw.

Hobby

The termination of ending a pregnancy by killing the unborn child!  Unborn children connected to the mother by umbilical cord are as helpless as children, adults, and the elderly who lies in a bed connected to life support not knowing anything. The difference is the unborn child is in a state of developent and will grow to become an individual. Should a person walk in and flip the life support switch off without legal permission to do so will probably face murder charges. So why should it be any different to kill an unborn child?  Do women really have a right to choose life or death for their unborn child? We are talking about a human being not some mass of cells like a tumor.  Somehow this just sounds wrong to me... However, I would not prevent someone from making the choice of abortion as I do believe in personal individual rights.  Abortion is between the person and their creator, not me.