Draft SCOTUS Opinion would Overturn Roe

Started by bats, May 02, 2022, 06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bats

So Politico got hold of a leaked draft of a Supreme Court opinion that would apparently overturn Roe and Casey outright.

The reporting says that such a leak is unprecedented in the modern history of the Court, and it could, at least theoretically, look different by the time it's finalized. Unsurprisingly for this extreme right-wing court, however, they appear to have the votes.

I thought the "conservatives" were supposed to be about limited government. So why are they about to give the green light to the states that want to outlaw abortion?

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/02/supreme-court-abortion-draft-opinion-00029473

HighStepper

Quote from: bats on May 02, 2022, 06:57 PMI thought the "conservatives" were supposed to be about limited government. So why are they about to give the green light to the states that want to outlaw abortion?

U.S. Constitution - Tenth Amendment.
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

If you live in Texas forget about having an abortion. If you live in California you probably can get one.

Now having set forth the Tenth Amendment, "States Rights" let us see if the "Conservatives" take control of Congress and the Presidency, will they pass a National ban on abortion running over the individual state's rights to permit abortion.

Too much sex is still not enough.

bats

Quote from: HighStepper on May 02, 2022, 07:47 PMU.S. Constitution - Tenth Amendment.
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

If you live in Texas forget about having an abortion. If you live in California you probably can get one.

Now having set forth the Tenth Amendment, "States Rights" let us see if the "Conservatives" take control of Congress and the Presidency, will they pass a National ban on abortion running over the individual state's rights to permit abortion.

Well, the 10th Amendment argument was supposed to have been settled by Roe. So that was no longer supposed to be an issue. A majority of the current justices, however, appear to believe their moral or religious beliefs supersede the principle of stare decisis.

As for what comes next, I think we can expect not only a national ban but also a reversal of some of the decisions on same-sex marriage.

These people are ideologues, not judges. And three of them have their seats because all the Republicans who abhorred Trump before he won suddenly decided he was worth it. So, through a lot of cheating and illegitimacy and minority rule, they're going to force their own beliefs on millions of people who'd rather be left the fuck alone.

Hobby

I have always believed abortion is best left to the states to decide. There is nothing in the constitution regarding abortion to interpret. The death penalty for the same reason is left to the states to decide to execute or not! Abortion has been so abused in the last 20 years, expanding the time to allow abortions right up to delivery. The difference between an inmate sitting on death row awaiting execution and an unborn child is: The unborn have no appeal rights!

Blkfyre

Quote from: Hobby on May 02, 2022, 09:51 PMI have always believed abortion is best left to the states to decide. There is nothing in the constitution regarding abortion to interpret. The death penalty for the same reason is left to the states to decide to execute or not! Abortion has been so abused in the last 20 years, expanding the time to allow abortions right up to delivery. The difference between an inmate sitting on death row awaiting execution and an unborn child is: The unborn have no appeal rights!

Which state allows abortions right up to delivery?

https://www.businessinsider.com/latest-point-in-pregnancy-you-can-get-abortion-in-50-states-2019-5

Hobby

bats

Quote from: Hobby on May 02, 2022, 09:51 PMAbortion has been so abused in the last 20 years, expanding the time to allow abortions right up to delivery.
CDC data show that 98.6% of all abortions performed in 2019 (the latest data available) occurred before 20 weeks.

When "conservatives" complain about "late-term abortion" they are intentionally misleading their ignorant voters to rile them up. And it works.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/ss/ss7009a1.htm#T10_down

Blkfyre

bats

Romanticlover

...or men could use a damn condom or women could use the pill or the morning-after pill. Lots of possibilities to prevent unwanted children other than abstinence.

I'm pro-choice but think abortions should be up to the state to decide under the 10th Amendment. What really concerns me is an activist clerk working for the Justice leaked this draft which is a serious breach of trust and should be against the law. The SCOTUS needs to have clerks sign a NDA and explain the whole "confidential" thing before they start working there.
Are we having fun yet?

Danno

There are some employers that don't have birth control available to women. But yes to the boner pills.
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

Danno

Romanticlover

Quote from: HighStepper on May 02, 2022, 07:47 PMNow having set forth the Tenth Amendment, "States Rights" let us see if the "Conservatives" take control of Congress and the Presidency, will they pass a National ban on abortion running over the individual state's rights to permit abortion.

I doubt they would, Republicans have held majority several times since the Roe vs Wade decision and didn't do it then.
Are we having fun yet?

Hobby

Quote from: Danno on May 03, 2022, 09:27 AMThere are some employers that don't have birth control available to women. But yes to the boner pills.

Employers? Name some companies that do what you said.

Danno