Biden torched for reminiscing about 'the old days' of having lunch with 'real se

Started by Hobby, May 07, 2022, 09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobby

President Biden raised eyebrows during his trip to Ohio when he reminisced about his time in the Senate when he broke bread with "real segregationists."

Biden visited the United Performance Metals facility in Hamilton and was accompanied by both Ohio senators, Democrat Sherrod Brown and outgoing Republican Rob Portman.

"You know, things have kind of changed since I first got there... I got elected there when I was 29 years old to the United States Senate from a very modest background. And I was there for 36 years before becoming vice president," Biden said Friday. "We always used to fight like hell even back in the old days when we had real segregationists like Eastland and Thurmond, all those guys, but we ended up eating lunch together. Things have changed. We got to bring it back."

Critics lambasted Biden for boasting about his past ties with the pro-segregation lawmakers.

"Segregationists were famously chill about who got to eat lunch together," National Review senior writer Dan McLaughlin quipped.

"Nothing like a hot lunch with a segregationist... " political commentator Dave Rubin tweeted.

"
  • f course you ate lunch together. [Y]ou were allowed to sit at their counter," National Journalism Center program director Becket Adams pointed out.

"Brunch with Bigots, am I right?!" The Lafayette Co. president Ellen Carmichael exclaimed.

"For one, Biden admitting just casually sharing meals with 'real segregationists'; second, 'real segregationists' seems to be an implied admission that when he says stuff today like 'Jim Crow 2.0', he knows it's not real," Pluribus editor Jeryl Bier wrote.

"Joe Biden be like 'ultra MAGA is so extreme and I just long for the days of when I could eat lunch with segregationists,'" Abigail Marone, press secretary for Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo., swiped the president.

HighStepper

Looking at Biden's past actions through the lens of today's wokeness.

Back in the days of "some of my friends are Negroes" was suppose to indicate not being prejudice. And the "you are not like other Negroes."

Biden lamenting about how there is no more collegiality in the Senate, behavior that is professional, cooperative, and respectful in a manner consistent with getting things done.
Too much sex is still not enough.

Hobby

Quote from: HighStepper on May 07, 2022, 03:41 PMLooking at Biden's past actions through the lens of today's wokeness.

Back in the days of "some of my friends are Negroes" was suppose to indicate not being prejudice. And the "you are not like other Negroes."

Biden lamenting about how there is no more collegiality in the Senate, behavior that is professional, cooperative, and respectful in a manner consistent with getting things done.

Whatever you want to call it, he needs to stop doing it! Biden lives in the past and has no clue what to do in the present!

Blkfyre

Quote from: Hobby on May 07, 2022, 05:18 PMWhatever you want to call it, he needs to stop doing it! Biden lives in the past and has no clue what to do in the present!

Trump ran on a platform of what the US used to be. How is that different than living in the past?

Bande

Quote from: Blkfyre on May 07, 2022, 06:40 PMTrump ran on a platform of what the US used to be. How is that different than living in the past?
Nothing in this post mentions Trump. You are a bit off topic...

Hobby

Maybe Pin Head is too much credit... Micro Brain.  Trump ran on issues popular with the voters. Two reasons Biden changed his views from when he was Senator... Money and Votes! Biden misses going to the KKK meetings with Senator Byrd! LOL

HighStepper

Actually Biden has a better handle on the situation and more of a clue than his predecessor. As much as you might not want to have a comparison with Trump, it doesn't mean that comparisons won't be made. It is especially germane since Trump might run for the presidency again.

Quote from: Hobby on May 07, 2022, 08:03 PMTrump ran on issues popular with the voters. Two reasons Biden changed his views from when he was Senator... Money and Votes!

Yup Trump ran on issues that he didn't deliver on. Appointing conservative Justices to the Supreme Court he delivered on.

Trump for votes and money change his party to Republican and became antiabortion when he use to be prochoice. 
Too much sex is still not enough.

bats

Quote from: Hobby on May 07, 2022, 08:03 PMTrump ran on issues popular with the voters.
That's true. That's what his "Make America Great White Again" slogan was really all about.

Hobby

Quote from: bats on May 08, 2022, 12:17 AMThat's true. That's what his "Make America Great White Again" slogan was really all about.

Quote from: bats on May 08, 2022, 12:17 AMThat's true. That's what his "Make America Great White Again" slogan was really all about.

What did you expect? After all, Trump spent most of his life as a Democrat! Just because he changed parties did not mean that he himself changed!

DoctorTaco

Quote from: HighStepper on May 07, 2022, 03:41 PMBiden lamenting about how there is no more collegiality in the Senate, behavior that is professional, cooperative, and respectful in a manner consistent with getting things done.

Agree 100%! And some wonder why WDC is such a fustercluck and the professional politicians can't get much done.

Few have the balls to vote against for themselves and cross the party line.  See Cheney & Romney for example voting to impeach Trump. A few Dems recently too- Manchin and one of the female senators on Biden's Build Back American bill a few months ago.