20 Worst High Schools 2022

Started by Hobby, Jun 15, 2022, 07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobby

There can be no excuse for this!  Education should be a top priority for our representatives!

HighStepper

I'm not optimistic about our schools improving. Now the big political push is to take over the school boards. The political campaigns are about banning books and stopping CRT, which is not existent in schools.
Agree +1 Agree +1 x 1 View List
Too much sex is still not enough.

dogwalker

Umm but someone always has to be at the bottom, right?   That said I am extremely grateful and lucky as fuck to have been educated where and when I was. 

lifes_good

Interesting video. Thanks for posting it.

The schools they list had remarkably low proficiency in math and reading - as low as 1% proficiency in math and less than 10% in reading. One school had a 12% graduation rate. The bottom should not be that low.

bats

I didn't watch the whole thing, but I don't see where they've explained how they got their rankings. Seems relevant.

Hobby

Quote from: bats on Jun 15, 2022, 11:17 PMI didn't watch the whole thing, but I don't see where they've explained how they got their rankings. Seems relevant.

They put names of high schools in a hat and then drew 20 names...

lifes_good

Quote from: bats on Jun 15, 2022, 11:17 PMI didn't watch the whole thing, but I don't see where they've explained how they got their rankings. Seems relevant.
I didn't see that either, and I watched the whole thing. I'm not even sure which is worse, #1 or #20. I ended up thinking it doesn't matter since they are all shockingly bad. This kind of information would be better communicated through a data table rather than a long boring video, but then I suppose few people would bother to look at it.

Hobby

Does it really matter how they came to their list of 20? These are merely examples of what is happening in our high schools today in 2022, I am sure there are a lot more across America.   There is no excuse for any high school to perform badly. And it is not all about Race!

rooftop

Why crappy high schools:
Crappy k-8
Unions let teachers choose where they want to teach not where they are needed
Restricting qualifications for being an administrator to people who have been teachers
Requiring an administrative credential
Union-controlled school boards (in california)
Kids whose parents and grandparents are/were drug addicts
Low income neighborhoods without community leaders
So-called Community leaders that are "poverty pimps" — exploiting guilt for personal gain
Too many languages in the classroom—not a blast against immigrants just saying it makes teaching a greater challenge
Entitled parents threatening teachers who want kids to behave
Cost of special ed and IEP-not questioning need and value just pointing out funds not sufficient to go around
Changing demographics—as percentage of white children goes down in public schools the willingness of electorate to invest in schools goes down.
Public schools get the "leftovers" as parents who are capable of lifting a finger are putting kids in charter schools.
Welfare payment not tied to making children go to school and do homework.
Neighborhoods overrun by drugs and drug culture that devalues education—a mature death spiral