Justice Thomas would overturn contraception, same-sex marriage

Started by HighStepper, Jun 24, 2022, 11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighStepper

From Thomas' concurring opinion: "... in future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court's substantive DUE PROCESS PRECEDENTS, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell. Because any substantive due process decision is 'demonstrably erroneous,' Link

Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967), was a landmark civil rights decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in which the Court ruled that laws banning interracial marriage violate the EQUAL PROTECTION AND DUE PROCESS CLAUSES OF THE FOURTEENTH AMENDMENT to the U.S. Constitution.

I wonder what Clarence Thomas' opinion is on the Court's over turning state anti-miscegenation laws?

Too much sex is still not enough.

bats

Those six Republicans on the court were chosen by other partisan Republicans so that, together, they can ensure that the "right" people can do whatever they want. At the same time, they're making sure that they can always tell the "wrong" people what to do.

It's all about control, as it has been for White men (and women) since the founding. But the modern Republican party couches its controlling ways in "originalism" and "textualism" to get the results that suit them.

Essentially, these people can't stand anyone telling them what to do. Thus we have them overturning gun restrictions, insisting that they not have to bake cakes for gay people, and resisting any action on climate change.

At the same time, these modern Republicans must be able to tell the "wrong" people what to do. So they demand that states have the right to force women to carry all their pregnancies to term, and they want to tell that gay couple who just wanted a fucking cake that they can't marry in the first place.

Hobby

Quote from: bats on Jun 24, 2022, 04:04 PMThose six Republicans on the court were chosen by other partisan Republicans so that, together, they can ensure that the "right" people can do whatever they want. At the same time, they're making sure that they can always tell the "wrong" people what to do.

It's all about control, as it has been for White men (and women) since the founding. But the modern Republican party couches its controlling ways in "originalism" and "textualism" to get the results that suit them.

Essentially, these people can't stand anyone telling them what to do. Thus we have them overturning gun restrictions, insisting that they not have to bake cakes for gay people, and resisting any action on climate change.

At the same time, these modern Republicans must be able to tell the "wrong" people what to do. So they demand that states have the right to force women to carry all their pregnancies to term, and they want to tell that gay couple who just wanted a fucking cake that they can't marry in the first place.

What a bunch of malarkey. Had justice appointments only came up during Democrat presidents, the Supreme Court would be packed with Democrat lefties. It is just that Trump was able to appoint 3 during his term.  I bet if we go and look 1973 there were a majority of Democrat justices appointed that voted to abolish abortion and support pro choice. Next time Democrats have the majority you can bet Roe v Wade will be reinstated. It has been 50 + years that Republicans were able to gain the majority in the SC.

Romanticlover

States have rights to make laws under the 10th Amendment:

'The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.'

Abortion is still legal in California and many other states.

Are we having fun yet?

Bande

Quote from: bats on Jun 24, 2022, 04:04 PMThose six Republicans on the court were chosen by other partisan Republicans so that, together, they can ensure that the "right" people can do whatever they want. At the same time, they're making sure that they can always tell the "wrong" people what to do.

Knowledge is your friend.
Demoncrats are the most Racist group around and creating the huge DIVIDE we currently have.

Hobby

Quote from: Bande on Jun 24, 2022, 04:39 PMKnowledge is your friend.
Demoncrats are the most Racist group around and creating the huge DIVIDE we currently have.

Not True!  The divide is because Republicans won't simply give in and go along with Democrat crazy ideas... LOL

bats

Quote from: Hobby on Jun 24, 2022, 04:27 PMWhat a bunch of malarkey. Had justice appointments only came up during Democrat presidents, the Supreme Court would be packed with Democrat lefties. It is just that Trump was able to appoint 3 during his term.  I bet if we go and look 1973 there were a majority of Democrat justices appointed that voted to abolish abortion and support pro choice. Next time Democrats have the majority you can bet Roe v Wade will be reinstated. It has been 50 + years that Republicans were able to gain the majority in the SC.
I don't remember what the makeup of the court was in 1973, but we all know that the country was far less divided then than it is now. I do remember that it was a 7-2 decision.

In addition, for 50 years the precedent set by Roe had been respected. This court overturned Roe mainly because they could. Getting those particular people on the court was by design. This is what the Right has wanted for decades.

Here's how the Supreme Court described the principle of stare decisis (i.e., following precedent) just seven years ago:

"stare decisis promotes the evenhanded, predictable, and consistent development of legal principles, fosters reliance on judicial decisions, and contributes to the actual and perceived integrity of the judicial process."

There was no reason to overturn Roe other than these particular justices didn't like it. They threw the principle of stare decisis out the window to achieve their partisan ends.

That's how these pricks roll.

dogwalker

If so sorry for the people it could affect but that won't be me so--------next topic?  lol

bats

Quote from: dogwalker on Jun 24, 2022, 07:26 PMIf so sorry for the people it could affect but that won't be me so--------next topic?  lol

Society is a group project. With some exceptions your participation is voluntary.

dogwalker

I'd feel different if I had true power [and desire] to do something about any of the world's problems.
I'm more of an action person than an observer so I'd rather do something about an issue that just talk about it.
Yes I can vote, and I do, but that's one vote in millions.  Not much impact.

Hobby

In addition, for 50 years the precedent set by Roe had been respected. This court overturned Roe mainly because they could. Getting those particular people on the court was by design. This is what the Right has wanted for decades.

There was like a million years of precedent of no talk of abortion prior to 1973 and nothing is said in the constitution concerning the rights of the unborn or dead people...lol

HighStepper

Quote from: Bande on Jun 24, 2022, 04:39 PMKnowledge is your friend.

You are behind times. Catch up, lol. The Democratic Party was originally a staunch defender of Southern slavery and was President Lincoln's main opposition. After the 1964 Civil Rights Act the Southern Democrats became Republicans. Knowledge is your friend. 

HighStepper

Quote from: dogwalker on Jun 24, 2022, 07:26 PMIf so sorry for the people it could affect but that won't be me so--------next topic?  lol

So you don't use condoms.
I remember when you had to see the pharmacist in order to buy a condom.

Hobby

Quote from: HighStepper on Jun 24, 2022, 11:08 PMSo you don't use condoms.
I remember when you had to see the pharmacist in order to buy a condom.

Why did you have to see the pharmacist?  Did he have to fit you...LOL

Romanticlover

Quote from: HighStepper on Jun 24, 2022, 11:05 PMYou are behind times. Catch up, lol. The Democratic Party was originally a staunch defender of Southern slavery and was President Lincoln's main opposition. After the 1964 Civil Rights Act the Southern Democrats became Republicans. Knowledge is your friend. 

How do you explain Sen Robert Byrd(D-WV)?

He was a life long Democrat who was in the KKK, he said it was a patriotic organization...yeah right.
https://www.thoughtco.com/robert-byrd-kkk-4147055
Are we having fun yet?