Record 10-year sentence for Jan 6 rioter

Started by Danno, Sep 01, 2022, 02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danno

Ex-NYPD cop who assaulted D.C. officer on Jan. 6 gets record-setting 10-year sentence
Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

Blkfyre

Link for the info Danno posted about the ex-cop getting a 10 year sentence:

https://www.businessinsider.com/former-new-york-police-prison-longest-sentence-capitol-attack-2022-9

A federal judge on Thursday handed down the longest sentence to date in a prosecution stemming from the January 6 attack on the Capitol, ordering former New York City cop Thomas Webster to spend a decade behind bars for assaulting a police officer during the insurrection.

Judge Amit Mehta issued the 10-year sentence four months after a jury in Washington, DC, readily rejected Webster's claims that he acted in self-defense on January 6. During the weeklong trial, prosecutors played bodycam footage and other video that captured Webster confronting a police officer along bike racks outside the Capitol and then repeatedly slamming a metal flag pole — bearing the Marine Corps flag — into the metal barrier between them.

The video showed Webster later breaching the bike racks and tackling the officer, Noah Rathbun, to the ground, where he pressed against his face mask.

A retired Marine, Webster served on the protective detail of New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg during his tenure as a police officer. At his trial, Webster took the stand to testify in his own defense and said the officer hit him in the face like a "freight train." Webster argued he was merely trying to protect himself from a "rogue cop" and said he pressed into the gas mask so the office could "see my hands."

Mehta on Thursday said that, even after numerous viewings of the footage of Webster's assault, "I still remain shocked every time I see it."

"You were the aggressor, no doubt about it," the judge added.

Just tourists huh?