Newsom Still Has Emergency Powers

Started by Romanticlover, Mar 24, 2022, 04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romanticlover

Last week Republicans in Sacramento introduced a bill to end the Governors emergency powers which most Democrats voted against.
Putin also has emergency powers in Russia, we have a word for that and it's a called a dictator.

Tell me why he still has emergency powers which basically lets him do whatever he wants.
Are we having fun yet?

Blkfyre

Old and non-story. He's had them since they were extended in November and oh, look at that, they are due to expire in 7 days...

https://www.ksbw.com/article/gavin-newsom-emergency-powers-resign/38239450

Romanticlover

That article is from 11/12/21, the legislature has extended his emergency powers indefinitely.
Are we having fun yet?

Blkfyre

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-03-15/democratic-lawmakers-block-gop-effort-to-end-california-covid-19-state-of-emergency

"Last year, the California Supreme Court upheld an appeals court ruling that affirmed Newsom's emergency powers." And that would be why he still has them, because the highest court in the state said he should. Kind of hard to claim dictator when the branch of the government that is responsible for determining if something is legal said yes, yes it is...

Romanticlover

It still doesn't make it Constitutional and ethical.

Putin also has puppets in the Russian courts that do his bidding for him.
Are we having fun yet?

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Mar 24, 2022, 04:42 PMIt still doesn't make it Constitutional and ethical.

Putin also has puppets in the Russian courts that do his bidding for him.

So just to be clear, they disagree with you, they are puppets, not that they are doing their jobs and ruling fairly based on the facts? And, what is your criteria for it not being consitutional? And if it isn't, why aren't others in the Federal government coming in and fixing it?

Romanticlover

What facts?
You mean the lies the CDC pushed on us to keep us living in fear?

The death rate was <2% and the vast majority were over 65 with four comorbidities(obese, diabetic, heart problems, etc).

THE PANDEMIC IS OVER...
Are we having fun yet?

Blkfyre

Just because we beat polio doesn't mean people still couldn't get it. Yes, the pandemic is over and we are living in an Endemic world. Except, you know, the virus is still there, mutating, and just because we want to live our lives doesn't mean it won't be killing people: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/23/covid-omicron-bapoint2-subvariant-will-soon-dominate-in-us-but-fauci-doesnt-expect-another-surge.html

Romanticlover

The difference in past pandemics is we didn't give elected officials and agencies broad emergency powers.

To be fair I would be saying the same thing if the governor was a Republican, we can't give an elected official broad powers that belong to the legislature.
Are we having fun yet?

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Mar 24, 2022, 04:52 PMThe difference in past pandemics is we didn't give elected officials and agencies broad emergency powers.

To be fair I would be saying the same thing if the governor was a Republican, we can't give an elected official broad powers that belong to the legislature.

Except, you know, we did:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2862334/

"City health departments had the legal power to close schools and quarantine homes when epidemics of diphtheria or polio broke out.10,11 They could screen for and demand special precautions be taken by healthy carriers of typhoid.12 Federal law required the medical inspection and quarantine of ships and immigrants arriving in the big port cities.13 On occasion, city health departments even imposed isolation on specific neighborhoods, as in the 1900 bubonic plague outbreak in San Francisco.14"

https://www.history.com/news/1918-spanish-flu-mask-wearing-resistance

"The influenza pandemic of 1918 and 1919 was the most deadly flu outbreak in history, killing up to 50 million people worldwide. In the United States, where it ultimately killed around 675,000 people, local governments rolled out initiatives to try to stop its spread. These varied by region, and included closing schools and places of public amusement, enforcing "no-spitting" ordinances, encouraging people to use handkerchiefs or disposable tissues and requiring people to wear masks in public.

Mask-wearing ordinances mainly popped up in the western states, and it appears most people complied with them. The nation was still fighting in World War I, and officials framed anti-flu measures as a way to protect the troops from the deadly outbreak."

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Mar 24, 2022, 04:52 PMThe difference in past pandemics is we didn't give elected officials and agencies broad emergency powers.

Also, you do know that the legislators DID give the governor these powers?

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=GOV&division=1.&title=2.&part=&chapter=7.&article=3.

"8567:   (a) The Governor may make, amend, and rescind orders and regulations necessary to carry out the provisions of this chapter. The orders and regulations shall have the force and effect of law. Due consideration shall be given to the plans of the federal government in preparing the orders and regulations. The Governor shall cause widespread publicity and notice to be given to all such orders and regulations, or amendments or rescissions thereof."

So I am not quite sure where you got that he was given something the legislature should have instead...

Romanticlover

Quote from: Blkfyre on Mar 24, 2022, 05:09 PMAlso, you do know that the legislators DID give the governor these powers?

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=GOV&division=1.&title=2.&part=&chapter=7.&article=3.

"8567:  (a) The Governor may make, amend, and rescind orders and regulations necessary to carry out the provisions of this chapter. The orders and regulations shall have the force and effect of law. Due consideration shall be given to the plans of the federal government in preparing the orders and regulations. The Governor shall cause widespread publicity and notice to be given to all such orders and regulations, or amendments or rescissions thereof."

So I am not quite sure where you got that he was given something the legislature should have instead...

Yes I do know that and every Republican was against it, since Democrats control the legislature they got what they always wanted... a dictator to tell them how to live their lives.
Are we having fun yet?

Hobby

If the pandemic in the US is over then Nuisance, I mean Useless, oops I mean Newsom emergency powers need to be rescinded by the legislature who granted them. Until then governor's emergency powers will remain indefinitely. Once the pandemic is declared over in the US, Newsom emergency powers will have to end.... We will have to wait to see if this happens. Just the way it is!

Bande

PussiCrats do not want to go againt the overzealouse Governor.
Call It PussiCalifornia.
All about control
Just like no rescending the gas tax and give the people $400.. All the stupid people see is $400. Suspend the gas tax one sees much more than that.
NewSkum does not want to give up controls even though there is no EMERGENCY..

HighStepper

Quote from: Romanticlover on Mar 24, 2022, 04:46 PMTHE PANDEMIC IS OVER...

Two years on, COVID-19 pandemic 'far from over'

People, Not Science, Decide When a Pandemic Is Over

So, perhaps it is over for some people, but not so much for others. Where I live can go into the grocery stores without wearing a mask.
However, I take a family member to numerous medical appointments. In medical offices everyone has to wear a mask.

In this country we have access to vaccines and therapeutics. So, if people get sick from Covid there is now less fear of dying from it.

Too much sex is still not enough.