FBI Search Warrant Served at Mar-a-Lago

Started by bats, Aug 08, 2022, 04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bande

Quote from: HighStepper on Aug 10, 2022, 11:24 PM33 minutes of the same old bullshit.

"Weaponizing the justice department to go against the political opponents..." this is Donald Trump's strategy. Confirm by longtime conservative Republicans.
Yep all BULLSHIT with all sides speaking how wrong this was..
All BULLSHIT..
And D.O.J. wanting answers.
A judge that signed off that recused himself previously due to being biased all the sudden sighs this.. ALL BULLSHIT..
Just investigate cases uniformly not with a political agenda.

Bande

Blkfyre

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Blkfyre

https://gaatimes.com/trump-received-subpoena-ahead-of-f-b-i-search/

Former President Donald J. Trump received a subpoena this spring seeking documents that federal investigators believed he had not turned over earlier in the year, when he turned in boxes of materials that he had improperly taken with him when he left the White House, said three people familiar with the matter.

The existence of the subpoena helps flesh out the sequence of events that led to Mr. Trump's Florida home being raided on Monday by FBI agents looking for classified documents they believe could still be found. find there, even after the efforts of the National Archives and the Department of Justice. to make sure it had been returned.

The subpoena suggests the Justice Department tried methods other than a search warrant to account for the material before making the politically explosive decision to dispatch FBI agents unannounced to Mar-a -Lago, Mr. Trump's home and members-only club.

Blkfyre

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/merrick-garland-mar-a-lago-fbi-search-trump

Three days after the FBI search of Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, Attorney General Merrick Garland broke his silence on Thursday to discuss the investigation into the former president and to defend the Department of Justice.

Garland also revealed that he personally approved the decision to ask a court for a search warrant in the politically charged case, which appears to be centered on Trump's removal of classified documents from the White House.

"The department does not take such a decision lightly," Garland told reporters in a brief statement in Washington, DC. "Where possible, it is standard practice to seek less intrusive means as an alternative to a search and to narrowly scope any search that is undertaken."

The New York Times reported Thursday that Trump had received a subpoena this spring from the DOJ about the documents.

Garland announced that federal prosecutors had filed a motion in the US District Court for the Southern District of Florida asking that the search warrant and a FBI property receipt, which lists the items taken, be unsealed.

Both of these documents were provided to Trump's attorney, who was on site as the search took place, according to Garland.

The attorney general said the decision to ask a court to make the documents public was made in light of Trump revealing the FBI raid on Monday to the public, as well as what he said was the "substantial public interest in this matter."

Romanticlover

AG Garland was appointed by Trump so I'm not going to say he's weaponizing the DOJ BUT...
He could of authorized a subpoena instead of a search warrant and Trump's lawyer said the FBI wouldn't let her see what they were searching which is against the law, a person or their lawyer are allowed to be in a room when a search is being conducted. Another issue I have is Garland(or the FBI) still hasn't said what was listed on the search warrant. There needs to be more transparency from the DOJ and FBI.

If Trump had classified documents then Trump should be held accountable but if the FBI doesn't find any classified material then this will be bad for Garland and the FBI.
Are we having fun yet?

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Aug 11, 2022, 01:17 PMAG Garland was appointed by Trump so I'm not going to say he's weaponizing the DOJ BUT...
He could of authorized a subpoena instead of a search warrant and Trump's lawyer said the FBI wouldn't let her see what they were searching which is against the law, a person or their lawyer are allowed to be in a room when a search is being conducted. Another issue I have is Garland(or the FBI) still hasn't said what was listed on the search warrant. There needs to be more transparency from the DOJ and FBI.

If Trump had classified documents then Trump should be held accountable but if the FBI doesn't find any classified material then this will be bad for Garland and the FBI.

Uhm, you didn't read the post two above did you? Here, I'll repeat it for you:

https://gaatimes.com/trump-received-subpoena-ahead-of-f-b-i-search/

Former President Donald J. Trump received a subpoena this spring seeking documents that federal investigators believed he had not turned over earlier in the year, when he turned in boxes of materials that he had improperly taken with him when he left the White House, said three people familiar with the matter.

The existence of the subpoena helps flesh out the sequence of events that led to Mr. Trump's Florida home being raided on Monday by FBI agents looking for classified documents they believe could still be found. find there, even after the efforts of the National Archives and the Department of Justice. to make sure it had been returned.

The subpoena suggests the Justice Department tried methods other than a search warrant to account for the material before making the politically explosive decision to dispatch FBI agents unannounced to Mar-a -Lago, Mr. Trump's home and members-only club.

Romanticlover

Yes I read that, I'm not an idiot.
They issued a subpoena in June and Trump cooperated by giving the FBI 15 boxes of documents, what happened last Monday was a search warrant and was totally unnecessary when Trump and his lawyers were cooperating.

Garland asked the court to unseal the warrant so we might see what they were looking for, the court can decide not to or delay the release.
Are we having fun yet?

bats

Quote from: Romanticlover on Aug 11, 2022, 02:23 PMThey issued a subpoena in June and Trump cooperated by giving the FBI 15 boxes of documents, what happened last Monday was a search warrant and was totally unnecessary when Trump and his lawyers were cooperating.
Why would you assume Trump was cooperating? Because Trump said so? That's pretty naive.

The more reasonable conclusion is that Trump was not fully cooperative, and that's the reason they needed a search warrant. A subpoena assumes trust in the party you're serving, and it seems quite likely that the feds had good reason to believe Trump wasn't being forthcoming.

Besides, a subpoena is normally used when they want to have a party turn over evidence that is lawfully in the party's possession. But if the evidence being sought is contraband, as seems to be the case here, there's no reason not to just go in and confiscate it.

The only reason for treating Trump so gently (i.e., by negotiating and trying a subpoena) is that he's the former president. Anyone else in possession of classified documents would have had their place searched much earlier in the game.

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Aug 11, 2022, 02:23 PMYes I read that, I'm not an idiot.
They issued a subpoena in June and Trump cooperated by giving the FBI 15 boxes of documents, what happened last Monday was a search warrant and was totally unnecessary when Trump and his lawyers were cooperating.

Garland asked the court to unseal the warrant so we might see what they were looking for, the court can decide not to or delay the release.

And yet...They obviously believed he still had material in his possession that he shouldn't have. And again, why do you think Trump is above the law? The law is clear, EVERY PIECE OF PAPER BELONGS TO THE GOVERNMENT. Not Trump. From official memos to post-its to hand-written notes, they all belong to the archive. If he removed ANY material that was supposed to be in the archive that was still in his possession then they were justified.

lifes_good

Quote from: Romanticlover on Aug 11, 2022, 02:23 PMYes I read that, I'm not an idiot.

I doubt it was your intent, but this comes across as an antinomy.

dogwalker

I wasn't there so I can't truly comment on what happened. I'd rather not rely on the news to know what happened because it is often filtered and highly biased. Sounds like a bunch of he said-he said nonsense to me.  When any of this affects the 5 things I care most about, then I'll pay more attention.  Until then.....so what?