People who have been convicted of stealing documents from the National Archive

Started by Romanticlover, Sep 08, 2022, 02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romanticlover

Here is a list:

https://www.archives.gov/research/recover/notable-thefts.html

My favorite is Sandy Berger, the former National Security Adviser under the Clinton Administration. He was caught stealing documents and shoving down his underwear. All he got was 100 hours of community service and probation and fined $50,000. He also also had to pay $6,905 for the administrative costs of his two-year probation.

Didn't hear much about this at the time, it's as if the MSM covered it up. All the other people on the list were sentenced to prison, why wasn't Berger?
Are we having fun yet?

Danno

Just tap me on the head if I overstay my welcome

Romanticlover

Quote from: Danno on Sep 09, 2022, 10:58 AMthose aren't classified anymore

Did you read the article?
The documents were classified.

The point of this topic is to put everything in context, you Democrats are acting like Trump walked into the National Archive and stuffed classified documents into his underwear.
Are we having fun yet?

Hobby

Huge difference here! After Trump returned documents in answer to a lawful subpoena failed to return all and his lawyers lied.  Trump himself caused his house to be searched.  Trump himself has made this political, Trump himself is to blame for all of it... My guess is the DOJ has a very credible witness to all of Trump's shit and has blown the whistle on him. I am so sick of Trump and his bullshit...

Blkfyre

Quote from: Romanticlover on Sep 09, 2022, 11:28 AMDid you read the article?
The documents were classified.

The point of this topic is to put everything in context, you Democrats are acting like Trump walked into the National Archive and stuffed classified documents into his underwear.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Danno

anyone, you don't even have to be citizen, can view the records in the National Archives And Records Administration.
They aren't classified.

Romanticlover

Quote from: Danno on Sep 09, 2022, 01:57 PManyone, you don't even have to be citizen, can view the records in the National Archives And Records Administration.
They aren't classified.

Have you been smoking the herb today?

You have to have a security clearance in order to read classified documents. In the case of Sandy Berger his security clearance was revoked for stealing documents and destroying them.
Are we having fun yet?

bats

Quote from: Romanticlover on Sep 08, 2022, 02:50 PMDidn't hear much about this at the time, it's as if the MSM covered it up. All the other people on the list were sentenced to prison, why wasn't Berger?
First, there was no media coverup. It was front page news. To see this, just is type into the google machine something like "sandy berger news."

As for why Berger didn't go to prison like the other perps, do you actually think every crime involving classified documents is of equal severity? As stupid as that sounds, that seems to be your logic here.

Romanticlover

Quote from: bats on Sep 09, 2022, 05:27 PMAs for why Berger didn't go to prison like the other perps, do you actually think every crime involving classified documents is of equal severity? As stupid as that sounds, that seems to be your logic here.

At least I have logic, as opposed to some of you Democrats.
For those who are high or just plain stupid: Berger was stealing classified documents and destroying them, Trump had a bunch of boxes of paperwork and probably didn't know what was in them. Berger was the NSA advisor and knew what he was doing was illegal. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Good luck luck convincing a jury Trump knew what was in those boxes.
Are we having fun yet?

HighStepper

• So he took boxes of documents with different levels of classification
  • Had them in the basement and in his offices
  • Refused to return them with "polite" requests
  • Sent some of the documents back in response to a subpoena
  • Claimed ALL the documents were returned in a signed certified letter
"Trump did not know what was in those boxes." This is the defense you are going with?
Too much sex is still not enough.

HighStepper

If Trump is indicted he can assert his right as a defendant to make these classified documents public at trial to show the context. There is a danger that a judge could agree. The more secret the document, the more it open to a Graymail Defense. Graymail is used as a defense tactic, forcing the government to drop a case to avoid revealing national secrets.
Too much sex is still not enough.

Danno

just trying educate you. you are wrong
Quote from: Romanticlover on Sep 09, 2022, 05:07 PMHave you been smoking the herb today?

You have to have a security clearance in order to read classified documents. In the case of Sandy Berger his security clearance was revoked for stealing documents and destroying them.

Hobby

Quote from: Danno on Sep 10, 2022, 12:27 PMjust trying educate you. you are wrong

Anyone can go to the National Archives and can only review documents they have clearance for.

Hobby

Quote from: HighStepper on Sep 09, 2022, 05:53 PM
  • So he took boxes of documents with different levels of classification
  • Had them in the basement and in his offices
  • Refused to return them with "polite" requests
  • Sent some of the documents back in response to a subpoena
  • Claimed ALL the documents were returned in a signed certified letter
"Trump did not know what was in those boxes." This is the defense you are going with?

Trump knows exactly what he had and what the FBI removed. Trump is Lex Luther all over again.

Romanticlover

Since the other thread is locked I will write here:
The FBI didn't find any classified documents and no nuke codes, all he had were letters he wrote to other people while President. Was it against the National Archives act?...yes, but there wasn't any classified secrets in his possession.

Notice how you haven't heard anything lately in the news or from the DOJ?
It's because they have egg on their face and they want this to go away, I'm sure the Republicans will investigate the way it was handled as well.
Are we having fun yet?